• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

I cannot seem to find the answer for this source question that I have, so I hope someone can help.

How do I list a source for information about myself and information I receive via an email from a person whom I requested information from?

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:58 AM

I cite the material I know of myself as "Personal knowledge of RCJ." There are a variety of templates for information that comes in by e-mail -- and I usually copy the specific information that supports the "fact" and paste it into the Research Notes section of the detail text tab in the citation.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

For information from a person, I developed an RM source template which covers most cases. I always consider the person to be the source and not the medium. The medium can be a personal interview, a phone interview, an email, a personal letter, a text message on my phone, a personal message to me on Facebook, a general posting to a wall on Facebook, etc. But the source is always the person. It's a simple source template where the data elements are the person's name, the communications medium, the date of the communication, a sequence number (for example, if there were multiple emails from the same person on the same day), and a "recorded by" field. The "recorded by" field is usually blank, but I can fill in my own name if I am making notes to memorialize an interview I am conducting with somebody. I always make sure there is some sort of media file such as a screen shot of an email, even if the media file is only a Microsoft Word file where I have memorialized my notes from an interview.

I try to avoid using myself as a source, but when that's the only option then I do a self interview with myself as both the interviewer and the interviewee.

The kinds of information I'm likely to obtain in this fashion are new births, new marriages, etc. - like a Facebook posting by somebody announcing a new grandchild. Despite having a person as a source, I still look for additional sources such as a courthouse marriage record for a new marriage or a newspaper announcement of a new birth.

Sometimes somebody will have put such information into a published or unpublished family history that looks like a book even if it's only a couple of pages long and even if it's unpublished. In this case, I will use an RM source template that I use for books. My book template is very similar to RM's builtin template for basic books. In such a case, the source really is the person and not the "book", but my book template still works well.

Jerry

#4 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

For information from a person, I developed an RM source template which covers most cases. I always consider the person to be the source and not the medium. The medium can be a personal interview, a phone interview, an email, a personal letter, a text message on my phone, a personal message to me on Facebook, a general posting to a wall on Facebook, etc. But the source is always the person. It's a simple source template where the data elements are the person's name, the communications medium, the date of the communication, a sequence number (for example, if there were multiple emails from the same person on the same day), and a "recorded by" field. The "recorded by" field is usually blank, but I can fill in my own name if I am making notes to memorialize an interview I am conducting with somebody. I always make sure there is some sort of media file such as a screen shot of an email, even if the media file is only a Microsoft Word file where I have memorialized my notes from an interview.

I try to avoid using myself as a source, but when that's the only option then I do a self interview with myself as both the interviewer and the interviewee.

The kinds of information I'm likely to obtain in this fashion are new births, new marriages, etc. - like a Facebook posting by somebody announcing a new grandchild. Despite having a person as a source, I still look for additional sources such as a courthouse marriage record for a new marriage or a newspaper announcement of a new birth.

Sometimes somebody will have put such information into a published or unpublished family history that looks like a book even if it's only a couple of pages long and even if it's unpublished. In this case, I will use an RM source template that I use for books. My book template is very similar to RM's builtin template for basic books. In such a case, the source really is the person and not the "book", but my book template still works well.

Jerry

So if I understand your last paragraph, if I have say a binder stating a title and author with records someone has compiled of their genealogy you would use the template - Book, Basic Format?

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:55 PM

So if I understand your last paragraph, if I have say a binder stating a title and author with records someone has compiled of their genealogy you would use the template - Book, Basic Format?

Yes.

Actually, I have my own book template, but my book template is very similar to the "Book, Basic Format" template. Typically, my citation sentence would list the author and title and the publishing information for your example would say something like Unpublished Manuscript. I would include a date in the citation sentence if the date is available.

It's not always perfectly clear when a quick one sentence or one paragraph email for which I use my person template for the source rises to the level of an Unpublished Manuscript for which I use my book template. Actually, I'm not sure the exact template makes all that much difference anyway. By the time you print a report with citation sentences, you can't really tell which template was use to generate any particular citation sentence. There are very successful RM users who use the Free Form template for everything, and there are very successful RM users who use the Book, Basic Format template for everything. It doesn't matter as much as you might think which template you use provided you end up with a reasonable citation sentence.

Jerry