10 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

Last night, I was working thru TreeShare to upload changes, including sources to Ancestry. I haven't made any changes in RM since then.

Tonight when I opened TreeShare, all of the people that I worked thru last night are back on the TreeShare list indicating that there are changes to be uploaded.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:04 AM

Check that you don't have more than one database. Go to File>Open>Search for a file. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

Yes, I have other files -- for other trees. 

I checked File --> Open Recent and there were 3 files listed: my primary file and two files for other trees.

I've suspected the issue for about two weeks. However, it was obvious that some 'signal' is getting lost since I could verify that the individuals I worked on Monday night were back on the list Tuesday night. I was not home during the day on Tuesday and did not work with any individuals in RM that day.

I'm also noticing a lot of individuals in my TreeShare list whom I haven't worked with recently. When I first uploaded my tree, I would have clicked the 'Mark as Not Changed' Icon for many of these people. They weren't showing up in my TreeShare list until about 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've been trying to work my way thru the list -- but the list didn't seem to get smaller. When I observed the issue on Tuesday with the THOMPSON surname, I knew something was amiss.

I have "Only show changed people" selected -- but it appears to be pulling a lot of individuals that it shouldn't. It also isn't picking everyone.

For example, I'm looking at TreeShare for Martha Ann Woody in my tree. Everything is shaded green with no apparent differences and no selection boxes. However, she is on my list -- even with "only show changed people" checked.

The list does not seem to change if I unclick "Only show changed people."

Is it possible that something changed on the Ancestry side?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:48 PM

People are added to that list if they are changed in RM, or if Ancestry tells us they are changed (the API doesn't tell us what changed, just that something did). If whatever changed on Ancestry isn't something that transfers via the API they still end up on the list. Clicking the button in the upper right corner will remove them from the changed list. If you click the "Options" button, you can remove everybody from the changed list all at once. Sounds like you may need to clear everyone if the change list is the same as the full list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:36 AM

I've been doing a lot of TreeShare activity due to doing some tree merging and from what I can see RM or ancestry is periodically "missing" a change. As I'm doing the changes in alphabetical order i noticed my brother in law with a © last name popped up yesterday with none of the changes I've merged days ago showing as applied when I was way into the "W"'s. I see instances of this daily.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

It does depend on how or where you make the changes. For example, if you are cleaning your place list the individuals using that place will not be on the change list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

On Sept 29, I started working my way thru TreeShare. For each individual, I recorded whether I marked them as 'No Change' or whether I updated records and accepted the changes. I continued working on this on 9/30 and everything appeared normal. (I've worked with over 600 people over the two days.)

This morning when I opened TreeShare, I immediately noticed people on the list that were not on the list while working yesterday. I started checking names against my log and it appears that quite a few of the individuals that I updated on Saturday are now back on the list.

I checked about a dozen individuals that had been updated. Most of the time it appears to be the sources for the marriage record that are causing the individual to reappear on my TreeShare list of 'changed people'. When I checked the Ancestry side, the marriage event is present, but the source that should have been uploaded is not. (There are some other events where the sources aren't 'sticking' with the upload.)

NOTE: I only transfer information from RootsMagic to Ancestry. I manually add Ancestry sources to my RM file. I don't pull anything down from Ancestry.

NOTE: Disconnecting my tree and starting fresh is NOT an option. I would loose all of the accepted hints if I did that. Without the accepted hints, my tree would not get indexed by Ancestry.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Ancestry does not have couple facts, only individual facts so they are separate facts on Ancestry. It would make sense that when you update the couple in RM that the other spouse is still on the change list. There is nothing RM can do about that, we don't want individual family facts. If the issue is for a couple just check the button to remove them from the change list. If you see anything else that keeps showing a person is on the change list then its something Ancestry is triggering. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

I've not understood this issue of Ancestry purportedly not having the Marriage fact/event for a couple. It certainly can show the other spouse in a person's Profile and Timeline. I've also seen that it supports a Marriage event for an individual when the spouse is unknown (or even creates such an individual event from a source (hint) when the spouse is known. And RM succeeds in creating couple Marriage events from the Ancestry API used with TreeShare, in addition to individual Marriages.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:41 PM

I have not worked with TreeShare for a while, but a situation that has caused me difficulty is notes with carriage returns. Carriage returns in fact notes are lost in transit from RM to ancestry. But the TreeShare compare process recognizes the lost carriage returns and says that the person in RM has a data difference from the person in ancestry. Therefore, even immediately after approving an update from RM to ancestry, TreeShare will show such people still needing to be updated.

I doubt my carriage return problem is the same as your problem, but it does have the awkward symptom of a person that has been updated still shows as needing to be updated. I suspect your problem has something to do with the aforementioned marriage fact problem. I'm with Tom in that I don't understand the comment that ancestry doesn't support marriage facts as applying to both spouses when a change is made to a marriage fact. But even if that is correct, it seems to me that RM could program its away around the problem by updating the marriage information for both spouses when the data goes from RM to ancestry via TreeShare.

Jerry

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

I hasten to add that I don't personally want the RM developers spending any time cleaning up TreeShare until RM8 is out the door.

Jerry