5 replies to this topic

#1 FOVeteran

FOVeteran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

Is anyone else having identical sources that are not auto-merging?

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

If they do not automerge then RM has determined they are not identical. Spaces and commas can cause this among other things.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

Is anyone else having identical sources that are not auto-merging?

If they do not automerge then RM has determined they are not identical. Spaces and commas can cause this among other things.

Not technically true Bob, I believe the problem with duplicate template sources may well still exist, see below;

https://youtu.be/ouMUEB3kNqc

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 dke

dke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

Just for the record, I do have identical sources that refuse to merge. Manual merging sources is a real drag and it would be terrific to fix this issue.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

Just for the record, I do have identical sources that refuse to merge. Manual merging sources is a real drag and it would be terrific to fix this issue.

Rootsmagic just need to care enough to attack duplication on various fronts imo.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:56 AM

I recently did a TreeShare from an Ancestry Tree online into RM. I started some cleanup and establish a few Groups so I knew areas to work on when I was back in TreeShare (primarily who to merge in the Ancestry file). Upon viewing the Master Source List I discovered several duplicated Sources. So I used the Lists > Source Lists > Automerge feature ...it counted to 53 then stopped and hung RM completely. Ctrl-Alt-Del & reopen RM and the TreeShared file.

After careful review to see if any of these were indeed duplicates (spelling or punctuation differences, I then proceeded to manually Merge these under the Source List. All went well in Manual Merge until I encountered the "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" set of duplicate Sources (8 in total). When I attempted to Manually Merge the first two of these RM would again hang up/freeze completely. I even waited several minutes (> 45) and RM was still hung when I returned to check on it. At that point I got a window named "Cleaning duplicate sources..." with content of "Merged: 7", which leads me to believe the original entry of "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Sources is the issue.

The first "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Source entry has a large number of Citation linked Facts to it, the second one was without any Citations, the 3rd - 8th had a few Citations. I was subsequently able to delete the second entry and Merge 3 through 8 into one Master Source. When I attempted to Merge the last remaining small set of Citation entry to the first one, the RM program again appeared to hang/freeze.

My suspicions are there may be some upper limit to how many Master Source entries can be Merged together, or if not, then some sort of memory limitation in processing this Merge.

The visible text of each of these "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Source entries is exactly the same:

Footnote: Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current (Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012), [Page].

Short Footnote: , U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, [Page].

Bibliography: , Ancestry.com. U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.

Source text:
Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrav.../cgi-bin/fg.cgi.

Repository:
Ancestry.com

As of yet I am not sure of the repercussions in TreeShare on Merging the apparently identical Master Sources that did actually Merge. Hopefully The API will recognize those as the same if more of the same exact Ancestry Sources are brought over via TreeShare. Time will tell.

EDIT: The first "U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current" Ancestry Source has 5499 listed Citations. Seems like an odd number to have in total.