#1 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:47 PM

Hi everyone,

As this is a discussion area I thought I would discuss this with RootsMagic users. 

I am thinking of using shared facts in my RootsMagic 7 to share major events that shaped or shook society as a whole for everyone involved for examples major wars, an up and steaming railway, up and flying airline, cars on the road, inventions with impact like the birth control pill, the computer, internet, 3D printer, HIV, Spanish flu, and more.  Any problems with this? Would this add interest to my genealogy records or take away from their usual usefulness?   What events would you include? How would you go about doing this? 

Please share your thoughts.
Sandra

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

Can you edit your post and put it in a readable color??

#3 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:13 PM

Hi zhangrau,

I like that you looked at this post. I changed the font for readability. I like what I wrote so I don't want to edit it. It is a discussion area post too.

Sandra

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

I can't picture exactly how you would plan to use shared facts for major world events. For example, for Americans of the WWII era a major event would surely be the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Would you really want that event shared with everyone in your database who was alive on December 7th, 1941? The event would become terribly redundant in reports. Or maybe I'm just not getting at what you are trying to accomplish.

Speaking just for myself, I am very cautious in how I use RM's shared facts. They do not play well with other genealogy software, and I don't want any of my data lost when it is moved into other genealogy software. Therefore, I use shared facts only to improve the appearance and readability of narrative reports. For example, I share a person's birth fact with the parents so that an event called Birth of Child appears in the parents' timelines. Similarly, I share marriage and divorce facts with each of the spouses being married or divorced. This causes the marriage and divorce facts to appear in the timeline of both spouses. RM's narrative reports do not normally place this information in an individual's timeline. Rather, this information is normally placed only in a separate timeline for the couple's combined events such as marriage and divorce.

If such shared events are lost when my data is moved into other genealogy software, the events themselves are not lost. All that is lost is the nice formatting of narrative reports.

Jerry

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

It sounds to like you are describing the use of Life Capsules in Personal Historian.

http://www.rootsmagi...onal-Historian/

The only real negative issue with RM's Shared Facts are that they are not a standard GEDCOM element, and so would not transfer well to other genealogy programs. But there are definitely RM users who like to use Shared Facts. I use only a few Family Facts, and those are NOT the same as Shared Facts.

My habit means including a separate individual fact for each person involved in a common event - your suggestion to use Shared Facts --- I don't know if I'd want to go that direction. But I also do not use Personal Historian, so I can't comment on the ease or complexity of generating stories with that program.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:35 PM

I am not a user of Shared FActs, but will use family Facts.  I do  not share gedcoms unless the user who wants my database is a RM user.  I have been successful in talking another user to switching to RM if they want a copy of my database.  I have many user created facts of my own and that is why they need to have RM.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:08 AM

I don't use shared facts.  I am  also inclined to agree with Jerry that it would be rather tedious to find the outbreak of war 2 mentioned in the reports of everybody who was alive in 1939 - and of course the date would be less significant for my family living outside of Europe. 

However I have often written a paragraph or two to include with all who might / were  affected by a 'sub event' of ww2 - eg my grandparents and some of their family living in the same home had servicemen billeted with them, some reaming long term friends. I add this manually to each individual in the household rather then using a 'shared fact' - I take the view that its 'interest' is mainly because its specific to a small group.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

Other than the limited transferability of shared events, I see no reason why you could not share major events. You might create a dummy person named Historic Event and create the events under it as the Principal.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

I use shared events with county creation dates. This allows me to quickly see when a county was changed and if I have events located in the wrong county.

I really don't care if they transfer or not as they are mostly just used for quick checks.

Kentucky created counties like rabbits so ...

Roger

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

I am thinking of using shared facts in my RootsMagic 7 to share major events that shaped or shook society as a whole for everyone involved for examples major wars, an up and steaming railway, up and flying airline, cars on the road, inventions with impact like the birth control pill, the computer, internet, 3D printer, HIV, Spanish flu, and more.

I do use Shared Events but would not dream of doing so in the cases you mention. Firstly I would need to edit thousands of people to show they existed during WWII for example, where a simple search would show the same thing if I wanted that report.

I believe you might be framing an enhancement request here which would include custom life capsules which have been mentioned before. These life capsules, which you could edit to include those important to yourself, would show on any persons Timeline View if that event occurred within their lifespan.

For example, I might want to see on Timeline View where the signing of the Ulster Covenant fell within a persons age and lifespan, I would want to enter that pretty localized historical event and then include it in Timeline Views. I Rootsmagic became very smart it could only show those localized events through options to select only those individuals with a life event within the geographic location of Ireland.

I believe I can see where you are coming from but please correct me if I am wrong?

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:39 PM

Hello

How do you show what the times were like on a genealogy chart, if you are not mentioning major things that are happening during their time?  I think knowing an ancestor lived through World War 1 then World War2 would imply much about a person.  Shared facts could also reveal families celebrations, vacations, regular events and more from a genealogy chart.  One branch of a family annually gets together the last Sunday of November to celebrate Christmas yet another never gets together.  I would like to see more information about who a person was - famous sayings, habits, accomplishments, anything that makes the person stand out and the times they were living in. Some of this may be possible for more recent ancestors since these types of facts might not have been mentioned.

For example, people born in the middle of the 1960s has been greatly affected by technology and other generations by wars, yet if someone was going to do my chart you would not see that, or that like many people of this time period I had more education, (mandated education by government law) than previous generations.  However, you would know I did not own any land.  So shared facts could be the invention of the computer, internet, and mandatory high school education.

The point is to reveal who the person is and what their life was like and the times they lived in. 

The issue seems to be shared evens are not a standard GEDCOM element. Perhaps they could become the standard.

Jerry Bryan:  I want to show major societal influences and things like who the person was - famous sayings, habits, accomplishments, anything that makes the person stand out and the times they were living in.

Perhaps world events could be redundant if shared by everyone in the database who lived at that time.  Nevertheless, it still shows societal influences.  I don't plan to change genealogy software. 

Zhangrau:  What family facts do you use the most?

Nettie:  What shared family facts do you use? What user facts have you created?

Trebor 22:  I think reading the 1890 census everywhere is rather redundant too particularly when the family has not moved.  The point is to reveal who the person is and what their family life was like and the time they lived.

TomH:  Why would I create a dummy person?

Rwells: I can see why you create county creation dates.  Some countries were often traded back and forth in Europe like Alsace Lorraine France.

Vyger:  You could find people who lived during that time by the same search you use to create color-coded people, rather than recurring searches. I have no idea about custom life capsules and I have not seen one before.  Yes, it could be a request for enhancement.  I think these shared facts would show automatically on the edit person page, if the person lived during those times or if the preparer wanted them in their genealogy charts and checked them off to have them installed.

#12 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:51 PM

GEDCOM was developed to communicate genealogical data, rather than personal or family history. Many software companies first developed their software to record genealogical data, but later expanded into family history.

From my standpoint, since each person has his/her unique story I do not depend on shared events to tell the story, rather I use unique story text in my own words based on their individual set of events. While 100s of my past relatives lived thru WW2 each had their own story/bent on the times during the war. Some lived under German occupation in Norway, others fought in the Pacific theater for the USA, others fought in Europe or at sea for various countries, others worked in factories, and others were killed in battle, sold war bonds, manned shore batteries, etc. These events are unique to the person and can be captured in RM and GEDCOM not as shared facts but as unique facts associated with the person. No two people collected the same set of facts, or experienced the same events equally.

Some of my relatives were artist, authors, poets, politicians, saboteur, sailors, musicians, this list goes on and on. All of these facts can be captured and reported, some with predefined fact/events others with created facts. If traveling to other countriesor following a person’s vacation events, these can be recorded as well. Some people capture all kinds of personal data and achievements. I’m a genealogist and tend to stay away from some events that people have, my mom kept books about my sister and me recording first hair cuts, tooth loss and school events. All of that can be recorded too if that is what your into.

#13 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:01 AM

I'm still a long way off using shared facts but its interesting to hear others thoughts on recording info beyond the 'BMD' 

Its always a good time to pause and think 'is there a better way to do this?' so I hope there are more interesting comments to come :-)

#14 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:10 AM

I really use individual facts the most.

Family facts often used: Engagement, Marriage Contract, Marriage License,Marriage, Divorce.

#15 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:34 AM

Vyger:  You could find people who lived during that time by the same search you use to create color-coded people, rather than recurring searches. I have no idea about custom life capsules and I have not seen one before.  Yes, it could be a request for enhancement.  I think these shared facts would show automatically on the edit person page, if the person lived during those times or if the preparer wanted them in their genealogy charts and checked them off to have them installed.

What you are trying to achieve is perfectly natural, however Rootsmagic allows you to enter individual facts and also family facts which apply to husband and wife. Shared events are generally the name of a person who would generally be a witness who may not be family but the share associates them to a particular event which is helpful. Without some kind of personal workaround you cannot get Rootsmagic to display world events through sharing.

In the case of the family tradition you could enter a family note which would say "John and Jane always insisted the family came together....." which would appear on reports etc.

What you are describing is more in line with Rootsmagic Personal Historian, this is where you would find life capsules, so watch some videos on Youtube on that as it may be just what you are looking for.

I don't know how the individual sales figure for each product stack up against the potential for a combined product but It makes perfect sense to me that these two programs become integrated into one and maybe someday that will happen.

http://rootsmagic.co...n/Features.aspx

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

Why create a dummy person for Shared events? An event has to be created for a person having the Principal role before it can be shared with others. For WW2, who is it? The name of the person having the Principal role can be part of the narrative sentence for each other role. Does it make sense that the Principal for an historic event or era be a person in your family tree? How are you going to find that event to share it with another person? A dummy person could be the Principal for a collection of historical events|eras and named *Events, Historical Context to sort near the top of the Name index. In the sentence template, [Person:given] would output whatever the given names are, in this case "Historical Context" and can be easily changed for all instances by editing the given names. Alternatively, you could create a new *Event person for each event and make the given name and nickname more informative, e.g., "World War II" and "WW2", respectively.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

I don't know how the individual sales figure for each product stack up against the potential for a combined product but It makes perfect sense to me that these two programs become integrated into one and maybe someday that will happen.

http://rootsmagic.co...n/Features.aspx

Perhaps rather than a combined product it could be an 'add in'  - 2 products to sell but with the advantage of integration?  As long as we don't move yet further from compatibility :-)

#18 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

Perhaps rather than a combined product it could be an 'add in'  - 2 products to sell but with the advantage of integration?  As long as we don't move yet further from compatibility :-)

Further discussion here, I do believe in integration, I thoroughly dislike breaking my live connection with the database for reasons of further analysis and reporting.

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shared facts, use