5 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

Just went to close out my program and received the message that there was an "Access Violation at address 0059441B in module 'RootsMagic.exe'. Read of address 00000010." 

I had added one note and looked at several other people without doing anything more than look. What could have possibly have caused the issue?

Any  help would be greatly appreciated.

Oops! You might want to know I am on a MacBook using El Capitan 10.11.6

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1366 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

That error message doesn't give enough info for a certain answer.

What version of Windows?

How much RAM?

How many records in database?

How long since last reboot?

Even these questions may not pinpoint a cause....

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7961 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

Access Violations errors can have many causes. I am going to give you a list of things to try and rule out the issue, after you have restarted your computer.

1. In RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. If any issues are found run them a second time. Check if that resolved the error.
  2. Run your anti-virus software program. Do a full scan. Windows 7 or later versions will have Windows Defender installed and should run that. If you don't have an anti-virus program then download Microsoft Security Essentials (free).
  3. Download and install CCleaner (free) and run both the Cleaner and Registry tools. You do want it to fix the registry problems. When given the option to save a restore point please do so, just in case you need it. You can download CCleaner from here - http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/
  4. Download and install Malwarebytes (free) and do a full scan of your computer. You will want to remove any bugs found. You can download Malwarebytes from here - http://download.cnet...4-10804572.html

There is no need to purchase the full version of CCleaner or Malwarebytes. The free versions will work just fine.

After doing that shut down your computer and restart it. Then open RootsMagic and see if the issues have been resolved.

Please note that its best to disconnect from the internet when you run your anti-virus and anti-malware programs. That is because these bugs are getting very sophisticated and "call" home when you try to remove them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

I am on a Macbook, El Capitan 10.11.6

Zhangrau,

How many records, not sure which info you are looking for, there are 32,069 people (program must have hiccuped at some point as there used to be about 40,000 people), 12, 026 families, 47,027 events, 1524 Alternate names, 5764 Places, 613 Sources, 107,273 Citations, 1973 Multimedia Items, 6040 Multimedia Links

Rebooted 2 days ago

Renee, 

#1 about 3 days ago, just did again. No issues noted either time

#2 My AVG virus software, scans daily, no issues noted

# 3 & #4 should I do the same for a Macbook (with Mac versions if available, of course)

Thank you both!!

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1366 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

32K records is not a very big database, in absolute terms. SQL can handle a billion.

I find that when I go several days between Windows reboots, and have 4 browsers open (each with 5-10 windows), I run into memory errors and things act weird. But I've been using RM for 15 years, and have only rarely had an access violation error. When I completed the type of maintenance that Renee suggested, things were back to normal.

On Windows, RM runs much more effectively (faster, fewer memory issues) with 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB and 12 GB aren't quite enough. My database has over 424K records, and I learned many years ago that I can't afford a computer fast enough that it will always be faster than me. So, I always have various tasks that take longer than I'd wish....

#6 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:40 AM

Thanks zhangrau, I too tend to have multiple browsers open with multiple windows each, this may be part of my problem. I will try to make sure I reboot daily & see if that prevents any further issues.