Photo

Is it possible to import data from My Heritage without doing so manually?

import myheritage manually

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:29 AM

Hello

I have a new trial subscription with MyHeritage.  Lots of light bulbs have gone off.  Is it possible to import data from MyHeritage to my RootsMagic 7 like I can with FamilySearch? At the top of the MyHeritage site, it says it is integrated with RootsMagic, so it should and it would be great if it could.

Sandra

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

You have to manually copy evidence from MyHeritage to fields of manually created events and sources in RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

I exported MH tree as gedcom that I imported in RM. I had plenty of duplicates (when you use smart matches to import new family members, MH does not prompt you there is already someone with that name in the tree), capitalisation errors, etc.

The in-build tools of RM did a really good job to have a consistent input but merging people can double facts, parents,... though. So a lot of manual checks (List of facts that appear more than once per individual, count trees, etc) were also needed.

Then I used many queries to clean and have a clear view of what is reliable and what is not. For example, I add the symbol * in the suffix of everyone to show that the person is from a shared tree (unreliable, need to be checked with official sourced) and put 'about' in front of all the dates (I take it out when I find a reliable source).

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)