• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Erchenbald

Erchenbald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:53 AM

I am a new user based in Australia. I am frequently annoyed by RM trying to change my Places from "Australia" to "Australasian Colonies". Very annoying indeed! Has anyone else struck this? It seems to be a misconception of the County Check List that such a place exists. How can I turn it off or tell it that there is no such place?

Thanks

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

Just go to Tools > Program Options and uncheck the box.

You didn't mention a place and time so I'm wondering if this is a database error or simply Rootsmagic suggesting the correct historical place for the time of the event and that not being personal preference? I have various Australian places in my database of more modern times and never encountered this problem.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

Feom the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act of 1900:

WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:

And whereas it is expedient to provide for the admission into the Commonwealth of other Australasian Colonies and possessions of the Queen:

Be it therefore enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty,

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Erchenbald

Erchenbald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

Thank you. Unchecking the box has worked.

While the formal collective name for the former colonies in Australia may have been "Australasian Colonies", the name "Australia" was widely used and is preferred, especially since it is now the official name of the country!

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:39 AM

It seems to be a misconception of the County Check List that such a place exists. How can I turn it off or tell it that there is no such place?

Thank you. Unchecking the box has worked.

While the formal collective name for the former colonies in Australia may have been "Australasian Colonies", the name "Australia" was widely used and is preferred, especially since it is now the official name of the country!

So the misconception was not on the part of Rootsmagic but actually Rootsmagic attempting to help you enter historically factual data which you have chosen not to do for whatever reason.

Rootsmagic does not force particular data entry standards in any field, sometimes I wish it did, so you are free to enter any old text string wherever you wish but it may not match another researchers personal style or online services, do be aware of that. I'm glad that you have found how to turn off County Check so you are no longer annoyed by these factual suggestions aimed at improving the historical accuracy of your data.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root