4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:29 AM

I use Individual List report quite a lot for gathering individuals with any fact containing specific Place or Place Detail geographic conditions, maybe given name and timeframe.

Lack of sorting options is one current deficiency which could be easily overcome making this report much more useful within RM rather than needing to reach for outside solutions.

Current sorting is by Surname > Given Name > Birth Date, I would like to have the options to sort by Given Name > Surname > Birth Date, Given Name > Birth Date and simply Birth Date.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1565 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

I always use Word to sort that list, the way I want it.  When I do the list, it is for my research journal for using while at a library or other repository. Yes I have my cell with my database on it, but this is easier.  I have checked all the boxes on information to include.  Do not have a good use for having the Given name, then surname.  With 2,332 pages for 15,756 people this is an easy way for me to work.....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Do not have a good use for having the Given name, then surname.  With 2,332 pages for 15,756 people this is an easy way for me to work.....

I tend to work in much smaller groups Nettie, often the differing spelling of Surnames within a group of people associated with a relatively small geographical area becomes unnecessarily fragmented not to mention the inclusion of married/maiden names. In those cases I find Given > Surname > Birth beneficial but it would simply be confusing in a report the size you cited.

At present I get my solution outside RM but really constantly reaching outside of Rootsmagic for simple sorting and reporting needs should be overcome by development imo.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1565 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:22 PM

But,,,,, I would think being in another country would have a good reason to do this.  I can see the name changes  being more of an issue.  Although in the US so many surnames were given via phonetic spellings also.  When I want a family group list I usually set them up differently.  But it is so long since I have done that.  Age says I need to clean up my database and start looking at where it is going once I am gone.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0