6 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:25 PM

RM's Pedigree View in the main panel already has an option to display 5 generations or to display 6 generations. I wish for a new option to influence the location of a newly highlighted person within Pedigree View. The option could be a checkbox called something like "Show highlighted person and spouse". It would apply only when the highlighted person was in the left most position of Pedigree View and when that person had a spouse. It would be functionally equivalent to clicking the little red arrowhead that's immediately to the left of the left most person when the left most person was highlighted. The option could be used any time, but would be most useful, for example, when scrolling through the Index View or the Groups View in the left sidebar.

Jerry

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8029 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:46 PM

I'm not picturing this. How is it different than what it already will do?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

It's very different than what is already done. For example, suppose the group is descendants of John Doe plus spouses. Suppose John Doe's granddaughter Sarah Doe marries William Smith, so William is in the group. Suppose the left side bar is in Group mode and the main view is in Pedigree View. Suppose William Smith is not in the Pedigree View at all and suppose you click on William Smith in the group sidebar.

At this point, William Smith will be in the left most position of Pedigree View and the rest of Pedigree View will be completely empty (assuming William has no parents in the database). There is no indication anywhere on the screen that William is married to Sarah Doe nor how it is that William fits in with anybody else in the database. You can click the little red arrowhead just to the left of William to move him one position to the right. Sarah will now appear and it will be obvious that William is the husband of Sarah Doe and that Sarah is the granddaughter of John Doe. I'm simply asking for an option to move William one position to the right automatically under these circumstances so you can see on the screen how he fits into the family. In other words, the option would display both the newly highlighted person and their spouse.

I will certainly agree that clicking the red arrowhead to the left of William is not particular burdensome for any one particular person. Where it becomes burdensome is when you are scrolling up and down the group sidebar in the left panel. The same thing can happen in the index sidebar. I find myself constantly having to stop scrolling to click the red arrowhead.

What I'm suggesting should certainly not be the default mode of operation for the Pedigree View, but I think it would be very helpful for it to be a selectable mode of operation.

Jerry

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:32 PM

I'm not picturing this. How is it different than what it already will do?

I haven't given up on this one. I made a two minute screencast to explain it a little better. https://www.screenca...om/t/xGBvo35AqO

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8029 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

I added your video link to the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

I haven't given up on this one. I made a two minute screencast to explain it a little better. https://www.screenca...om/t/xGBvo35AqO

Jerry

I have just watched Jerrys screencast, it's well explained and I can identify with his wish. Thinking for a while the option to indent the pedegree view by one generation would seem to be the simplest solution and I believe this is what Jerry is advocating. I am often striving for more person information to help make informed decisions and clicking other tabs in search of that information so where is can be easily achieved and make RM less clicky I believe the developers should give serious consideration.

Nobody likes half baked food, so leave it in the oven and tend to it a bit longer till it's just perfect.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

This has been missing from RM's software since it started...  I think. The first Ancestor Charts then changed to Pedigree Charts from Everton Publishing, 1963, before computers programs became a norm, had a place on the very bottom of the Portrait copy in the left hand corner, with the spouse name, birth and death date.  Would be nice if it could be put on the current on in Roots Magic. I personally  do not understand why it is so hard to add that information. 

Because the layout of the current Pedgree Chart in RM is the wrong size and has not been fixed.    <_<  I have had to copy it over to Word to make it the right size for printing and do add the spouse name, birth and death dates in the lower left hand corner. 

I still have copies of that Ancestor Chart, from Everton Publishing copyright 1963.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0