7 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

I have just purchased and downloaded FA. I have watch3ed several webinars and tutorial about FA. It appears to be a 2009 version with no updates since then.

When trying to use FA I have run into several things I would like to do but so far have not found out how to do them. I imported my database from RM7.

1. When mapping events in a persons life I am looking for a way to refine the paths between events. I have a person going from New Hampshire to Michigan. This results in a straight line right across lake Erie. Not the way it happened. I have done additional research from history and letters that I have and his route was to Albany, followed the Erie canal through the major cities in New York to Buffalo. Then by wagon road to Toledo where he picked up the train to get him to Bertrand Michigan in south western Michigan.

Can I create intermediate steps in this to reflect the actual path? I could create a new fact type in RM7 to show these way points and then exclude that fact type in other reports.

2. Can I add arrows to the path between points to show the direction of travel?

3. Sometimes when I move across a zoomed image I suddenly lose the paths that are between sites. I don't think I did anything wrong but any suggestion would be appreciated.

(I am using Windows 7 64 bit with 12 gig of memory and plenty of hard disk space.)

4. Since it has not been updated in almost a decade is this product going to be supported in the future?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

1. You can add personal places (Lists>Personal Place List>Add) and Place Markers (Markers>Place Marker Set>Add). You can show more than one marker set on the map. So its possible to add the travel route they took by adding those other markers to a new marker set.

2. No arrows for direction. That is on the enhancement request list. 

3. That does happen. Do you see them come back when you adjust it again?

4. Family Atlas has just been put on the back burner while development has been involved in more pressing areas. Once we get the native Mac version of RootsMagic done we can get back to updating the other programs.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

Renee,

1. If i have a series of events from RM7, ( I have added some waypoint events that alter the path, These special fact types can be eliminated from any other RM functions when not exporting to FA), but I'm not sure how to incorporate my personal places onto the path of my RM7 events. I will experiment with that more.

2. Good to see it is on the list to add.

3. The paths do reappear. If I am looking at paths that stretch across the country they show fine when I am looking at the east coast but as I move west the paths disappear and when I move back east again the reappear.

4. Glad to know that it will not be abandoned. I am planning on using this to illustrate to other family members the path various people took to during their lives. I think this will be beneficial to effectively sharing genealogical data.

I am also experimenting with the KML files and incorporating these into Google Earth.

Thank you

#4 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

Renee

1. Some dates don’t sort well even in Excel. Excel treats dates differently before 1900.  You can see the different Excel sort results here. This may not be related to FA but just a fact I observed. I have not been able to reproduce my date issue yet. Maybe I cleaned up my data sufficiently to avoid the issue.

01/01/1830

01/05/1852

06/02/1843

06/08/1842

1/1/1930

6/8/1942

6/2/1943

1/5/1952  

1. Date ranges can cause strange results. I had a person that lived in town X between 1806 and 1822. That was supported by all the evidence that I found. I also found a fact that between 1815 and 1822 she may have lived in town Y, also a documented fact. The fact that there is conflicting data works ok in RM but does not map well in FA since the person probably did not live in both places at the same time but no fact can get me any closer at this time. Those two fact dates should be serial and not overlapping. Not an FA problem but I have not decided how I can address this yet.
  2. Don’t include any fact that cannot be attributed to that individual. No life cycle type information or general history. These will put points on your map that may not correspond to the individual.
  3. All places must be down to the same level of granularity. If you use city then all places should be down to the city. If you have only a state or country fact mixed in then you end up with points that seem to be misplaced. In some cases I may be able to adjust by creating a proof statement that would essentially say in all probability she was in this city at this time because….
  4. The one good thing about this is it forces me to reexamine my data and find areas that need improvement or correction or a proof statement. The only real issue is the date sorting in item 1 that sorts strangely in excel as well. I have not been able to recreate the date sorting as yet but will try after I clean up the other data issues so I have as clean a map as possible.

I think as soon as I clean up my data the date problem will either go away or it will be much easier to identify.

FA looks to be the correct solution to my explaining migration paths to the non genealogists.

One last question? The ability to adjust a path within FA would be nice. If I try to do it in RM7 it becomes quite messy. Is that on the enhancement list?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

Don’t include any fact that cannot be attributed to that individual. No life cycle type information or general history. These will put points on your map that may not correspond to the individual.

On the Genealogy Markers there is a People and Event tab. You can unselect any facts you do not want to appear on the map. That would also be any facts your using for histories. 

All other items have been noted on the development list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:05 AM

One other item that I can't seem to find a solution for is shared events. If a person is not the primary person for that event it does not appear on the map. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way FA works?

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

FA doesn't work with shared events.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 thaliadaniels

thaliadaniels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:26 AM

I'm a Computer Programmer in a company that offers these large dog crate (which is perfect for dogs who have large built).

I thought it was working in shared events...