3 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

The Find Everywhere feature has many positives but also some negatives in it's present form imo. One of those negatives is the inability to move directly to the focus person to examine and edit in many cases where maybe a Place or Source is the subject of the find.

Say for example I search for "Eikenboom" which is primarily a name of Dutch origin, I may find references in People, Sources and maybe Notes where the name is mentioned in a will or obituary, these would all valid for further research and comparison, other entries may not be so valid so I would not wish to consider these further.

I would like to see a checkbox selection added to the Find EveryWhere results report where I could select those entries of interest to either add them to an existing Named Group or Create a new Named Group, repeated Find EveryWhere search selections would be cumulative to the area of interest.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

I totally agree with this wish, but in some sense I don't think it goes far enough. For example, let's make your Eikenboom group and put it into the left side panel. Set the main view, for example, to Pedigree View so as you scroll up and down the left side panel, the group members appear as the left most person in Pedigree View. So far, so good. Now edit one of the people in the Eikenboom group. I challenge you to find instances of the string Eikenboom in the Edit Person screen on any sort of quick and easy basis, especially if the string is deeply buried as a fact citation for person with a lot of facts and for a fact with a lot of citations.

Find Everywhere itself does a better job if displaying such found strings for you than does the Edit Person screen, but too often Find Everywhere does not leave you in a position where you can do the editing you need to do based on having found the string.

Jerry

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

I challenge you to find instances of the string Eikenboom in the Edit Person screen on any sort of quick and easy basis, especially if the string is deeply buried as a fact citation for person with a lot of facts and for a fact with a lot of citations.

Find Everywhere itself does a better job if displaying such found strings for you than does the Edit Person screen, but too often Find Everywhere does not leave you in a position where you can do the editing you need to do based on having found the string.

Jerry, we are both skirting around a problem within the current build of RM. My wish came from the "too often" Find Everywhere scenario you correctly highlighted, my thinking was that if I validated the Find Everywhere matches and selected them for a group at least I know these selected entries, in my opinion, are worthy of further research and comparison.

I usually use Timeline view for comparisons and I have also wished for multiselect of individuals for a multipane Timeline comparison View.

The fictitious Eikenboom group would only have individuals I was happy with and selected from the Find Everywhere results so worthy of my further research whether they are mentioned in an obituary or will, I can remove them from that group if I disprove a connection.

I yearn for improved data mining techniques and yes that includes event proximity regardless on personal text recording techniques. I watched two television programs this past week where proximity was an important indicator and a further one on the history of mapping mainly by Britain and France. In 1913 34 nations got together and agreed standards to create an International Map of the World and today, over 100 years later, we genealogists still struggle with that standard and are not in agreement :mellow:

As we struggle for links these important tenuous become more important and need methods of bringing them to the surface.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root