4 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

Would it not make more sense if posts on a topic were listed in reverse chronological order with the most recent at the top? 

To follow a topic you always have to choose it and then scroll to the bottom to see the last few entries--seems silly.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3127 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

Would it not make more sense if posts on a topic were listed in reverse chronological order with the most recent at the top? 

To follow a topic you always have to choose it and then scroll to the bottom to see the last few entries--seems silly.

Threads with new posts are highlighted. There is a highlighted button to the left of the highlighted text. Click on the highlighted button and it will take you directly to the new messages and you don't have to do any scrolling at all. I think it's a very good system.

At the same time, it's probably just me but I have a pretty strong distaste for almost anything that's listed in reverse chronological order or where financial "bottom lines" are at the top. I like reading top to bottom. I'm sure that a lot of people - perhaps a majority - prefer reverse chronological style. But it's not a good match for the way I think.

Jerry

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:13 AM

Round button in left column of some topics does get to last one. Only a few topics have this and some others have a star greyed out which does nothing. Link in the top right within a topic also seems to get to the latest.

You must find threaded emails backwards unless you can reverse their order. I just want to see the latest one and only go backward to clarify something.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3127 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

You must find threaded emails backwards unless you can reverse their order. I just want to see the latest one and only go backward to clarify something.

I like to read emails or anything even remotely similar to emails such as this form in timeline order - oldest to newest. That seems only logical to me. Reading newest to oldest often makes no sense at all.

Unless there is something unusual going one where I want to read something I've already read, I like to start with the first (by which I mean the oldest) that I haven't yet read. Clicking the round button accomplishes that goal for me when reading these forums.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5896 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

For the mobile browser, clicking on the topic goes straight to the earliest unread post in the top-to-bottom chronology. I think both desktop and mobile browser interfaces work well and do not see any benefit from reversing the order. The server remembers what the last post was I could have read in each topic regardless of browser and platform so I can pick up with the unread posts on any platform.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.