Photo

How do you display a name of a person married more than once?

name marriage display

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Hi everyone,

While working with RootsMagic, I have come across a problem of wanting to show people have been married more than once and may have stepchildren with one partner and not the other.  I also would like to show the order of those partnerships.  What do you suggest?  I would also like to show visually that the partnership ended in divorce or death.  Wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of count to show visually the number of marriages and divorces on the pedigree chart?  For example, I have a sister and a mother both divorced and my sister has no children from her first marriage and two for her second and lasting marriage.

What do you do, or suggest?

Sandra

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

To me...... Pedigree Chart or as I call it an Ancestor Chart is direct line people directly related to me.  Narrative Report,  Family Group Sheet, Individual Summary, Research Report, and others can give you mutliple spouses and list children which are directly related to you.   AS Far as I know and have been doing this for over 50 years and there is only one Ancestor chart that I have seen in hard copy form,  for that will list along with Direct Line ancestors, brothers and sisters of the couple and have several  blank lines for additions to the persons name. .  That is from the "Ye Old Genealogy Shop" in Indianapolis, IN.  I am not even sure if when you add a child and you give it's birth feature adopted it may or may not  add but someone else will have to answer that. 

OR read the book that RM has to find your answer or use the Misc  Event Fact with the note field to list those children. 

Many of the genealogy software programs are geared to direct line ancestors and those related to a person. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:45 AM

I am sometimes keen to display a 'family group' that includes multiple partners and children of partners and so use a drop line chart (often in the past from Charting Companion) selecting the individuals I want to include (usually just 2 generations) then use the result as a 'graphic' pasted into the document, along with the more usual pedigree or descendant chart(s). It would not show all you want in one chart but I think I have achieved much of it  by  including more that one graphic / chart.

Yes it would be very nice if there was a much simpler way to achieve it!