Photo

Poss. to switch name listed & AKA name so AKA shows as primary?

name switch AKA

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

Example (made up names): name known originally as Henry Doe (in US records), find out many years later his name found to originally be Heinrich Doe (German records). Had originally listed him as Henry Doe & later, when info found (but wanted to verify with another source before changing anything) gave him AKA name as Heinrich Doe.

Now info verified & I would like to switch the primary name to Heinrich Doe & Henry Doe to AKA status, is there anyway to switch the names so that the sources with each name stays with appropriate name, without manually deleting & re-entering info?

Thanks! 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Not from within RM.

I expect it can be done with judicious editing of an exported GEDCOM and importing to a new database with attendant risk of GEDCOM losses.

A SQLite editor can modify the database directly to change the Is_primary flag from the one name to the other, in the NameTable.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:38 PM

Thank you Tom for your reply. I have no idea how to work with a SQLite editor to modify a database so will just delete & re-enter info.

I have no desire to risk the loss of any data.

I had presumed that might be the case but you never know what these programs can do sometimes until you have a need. :-)

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:50 PM

Example (made up names): name known originally as Henry Doe (in US records), find out many years later his name found to originally be Heinrich Doe (German records). Had originally listed him as Henry Doe & later, when info found (but wanted to verify with another source before changing anything) gave him AKA name as Heinrich Doe.

Now info verified & I would like to switch the primary name to Heinrich Doe & Henry Doe to AKA status, is there anyway to switch the names so that the sources with each name stays with appropriate name, without manually deleting & re-entering info?

Thanks! 

I often have to do this, just change the primary given name to Heinrich and the Heinrich Alternate Name to Henry as each one is proved.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thank you both for your replies! :-)

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

What other describes leaves the sources where they were. Thus the sources for the Heinrich alternate name become the sources for the Henry alternate name. You would have to manually move them but therein lies a problem. RM hides sources for the primary name. RM8 has been promised to fully reveal and support them.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:34 AM

What other describes leaves the sources where they were. Thus the sources for the Heinrich alternate name become the sources for the Henry alternate name. You would have to manually move them but therein lies a problem. RM hides sources for the primary name. RM8 has been promised to fully reveal and support them.

Good point Tom, I wasn't thinking of Sources as I don't generally source the spelling or versions of names, but rather explain them in Notes and allow other fact sources to speak for themselves.

Susieqk, if you have Sources attached then do take Toms point seriously as it's something I wasn't considering in my reply.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3439 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:07 AM

The fundamental problem with RM's current support for names is that names are not treated as facts in RM's user interface. As such, names cannot have notes, sources, or media. RM's current support for alternate names does treat alternate names as facts in RM's user interface, with notes, sources, and media. The irony is that RM's names and RM's alternate names are stored in the same NamesTable in the RM database and the table has all the same data element for names as it does for alternate names. So all RM has to do to fix this problem is to expose all those data elements for names to the user interface and to provide a mechanism in the user interface to designate one of the several names as the primary name with the other names being the alternates. Let's hope that RM8 really does include this capability. If this capability were already in place, then susieqk's problem could be solved with a couple of click's.

Jerry

#9 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

Thank you Tom, Vyger & Jerry so much for taking time to answer my question. :-)

I just generated a FGS for this family & it does show sources for the primary as well as for the AKA names. For primary name it shows 1-7 sources, for 1st AKA name it shows source 3 & for 2nd AKA name it shows an 11. Sources are also shown for primary name in narrative report I generated.

Was there some other report to which you were both referring regarding sources not showing up for the primary name? 

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

The sources you think are for the primary name are actually sources for the person or "general" sources. Sources for the primary name that you see on Ancestry are imported into RM via GEDCOM or TreeShare but are invisible, for the most part.