12 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

I am a mac user forced to try virtualization due to bad tech support advice. Does RM7 work better in windows 7 or 10? 

On tech support advice I upgraded to Sierra from Yosemite where RM7 worked pretty well. It turns out that rootsmagic runs poorly on Sierra/High Sierra for retina macs and the only fix offered is wait for the native RM7 promised for half a decade, buy a pc or use parallels.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

I am a mac user forced to try virtualization due to bad tech support advice. Does RM7 work better in windows 7 or 10? 

On tech support advice I upgraded to Sierra from Yosemite where RM7 worked pretty well. It turns out that rootsmagic runs poorly on Sierra/High Sierra for retina macs and the only fix offered is wait for the native RM7 promised for half a decade, buy a pc or use parallels.

It is well known now that RM8 will also be Mac compatible but it is not known when the release date will be.

I am a Win10 user and there should not be any difference between 7&10, the one thing I am aware of through forum posts is that Mapping does not seem to work for Mac users at present, I have not seen other issues discussed.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

Mac user here! Macbook on High Sierra 10.13.6. I'm running RM7 Windows version under Windows 10. Windows 10 (the .iso) is running under VirtualBox by Oracle. It all seems to work just fine. My databases and folder structures are on the Macbook (not in the VM). RM7 gets to them via Windows through VB. All seems pretty stable.

I also have the Mac version of RM (not Native) installed to access the database if I'm doing minor updates. What I mean by that is if I start doing things that start accessing the external items, like a lot of FamilySearch access for record comparisons and such, it has a tendency to lock up on the Mac version. Requires a forced shutdown of the app then. This doesn't happen on the virtualized session.

RM8 is suppose to remove the wrapper and have a native Mac version. I suspect we'll have to give plenty of feedback on how it operates on the Mac. Things like multiple windows open and if one updates, they all update.

Hope this helps!

-les

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Les: I tried parallels and vm fusion  10 for windows 10 but my macbook pro 13 (2014) is really not up to it. Parallels was terrible and neither program would properly handle a Yosemite VM. Fusion did pretty well on Windows 10 but it was slow and clumsy. Virtual box is probably not suited to my skill level.

Vyger: I did try Windows 10 on fusion but will wait for the native mac version of RM. It's only been over 6 years but who is counting. I am using FTM 2017 happily but my spouse is trapped in RM7 with a huge database. She was OK under Yosemite but tech support encouraged her to migrate to Sierra where they knew retina macs (most mac users) had problems they did not plan to fix.

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

Les: I tried parallels and vm fusion  10 for windows 10 but my macbook pro 13 (2014) is really not up to it. Parallels was terrible and neither program would properly handle a Yosemite VM. Fusion did pretty well on Windows 10 but it was slow and clumsy. Virtual box is probably not suited to my skill level.

Vyger: I did try Windows 10 on fusion but will wait for the native mac version of RM. It's only been over 6 years but who is counting. I am using FTM 2017 happily but my spouse is trapped in RM7 with a huge database. She was OK under Yosemite but tech support encouraged her to migrate to Sierra where they knew retina macs (most mac users) had problems they did not plan to fix.

I use RM7 under “full” - paid for - CrossOver and have had little trouble over the years moving up through the various MacOS versions including the latest version of High Sierra on a Retina 5K iMac. I have also used RM for Mac but there is a little more flexibility with full CrossOver - I changed the DPI setting in “Windows” (i.e CrossOver) and found some fonts that are OK (though admittedly could be a little clearer) and one gets the more recent updates to CrossOver.

I make very heavy use of Family Search and in general it works very well despite my slow internet speeds and I can usually keep going for hours and often even continue the next day without restarting RM or logging out and then in again using Family Search Central. Yes, from time to time I have to Force Quit RM, one assumes because the FS connection has died or gone away, but the overheads are far lower than when I used to use Parallels and the complications of keeping full Windows going, so any minor pain is worthwhile in comparison.

I find the combination of RM and full CrossOver very usable, though not perfect. Some others seem to have had more trouble, though this would seem to be more prevalent with the cut-down CrossOver included with RM for Mac. OR is it that I am in the UK, so probably using FS mainly only up to about 1300 EST, so not exactly peak time in the US, and Family Search will therefore be under less stress.

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

jp: i had not thought of using crossover directly and we have just used the RM7 wrapper version from Bruce. 

I had tried installing RM years ago but at that time it did not work well. Family search is what my wife is focused on using now and is having sreious RM7 issues under Sierra. Things were fine in Yosemite.

Is there a set of instuctions or coded install app available if one buys a crossover license?

#7 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:34 AM

jp: i had not thought of using crossover directly and we have just used the RM7 wrapper version from Bruce. 

I had tried installing RM years ago but at that time it did not work well. Family search is what my wife is focused on using now and is having sreious RM7 issues under Sierra. Things were fine in Yosemite.

Is there a set of instuctions or coded install app available if one buys a crossover license?

Yes, there is a straightforward process for RM7 that installs CrossOver and then RM7. Search for RootsMagic on the CrossOver website. There is also a 30 day free trial - I suppose you have to cancel within the 30 days - but you could try it. There is a “control panel” function that allows you to tweak the “Windows” environment, where I played with the DPI setting. (I also run my iMac with a non-default screen seeking as I found the default resulted in fonts a little small for my eyes at my age - nothing to do with RM but other applications.)

However, I’m still a little concerned that you had major issues going from Yosemite to Sierra. Maybe there was something more to it, or RM for Mac was more flakey at that time.

#8 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

JP: the problems with sierra/high sierra know to RM tech support affect retina mac users (all macbooks). RM apparently thinks few people use macs laptops. We did a complete uninstall/reinstall of RM7 to get the current wrapper but that did not help. Their advice after getting us to upgrade was wait for a native version or run Parallels. 

Since you have a retina iMac perhaps the direct use of Crossover would help. I miss that dpi windows setting for older eyes. Macs lack this feature which leaves menus and other items tiny even if you change fonts, display resolution etc.

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

JP:  First I installed RM7 from Bruce and confirmed my wife's problems with displaying sources and research notes. I am on High Sierra and she is on Sierra. Then I removed Bruce's app and related files in case of conflicts. Tried Crossover from codeweaver and it installed rootsmagic 7 very well. Setup is a pain with folder location and fonts (we use arial and helvetica 16) BUT the display problems seem cured. Trial lasts 2 weeks now and purchase is $50/year. 

I will try further setup and use to confirm these results but it does look like Bruce is using an older version of Crossover that works for only some mac users. The apparent cure seems too simple and easy for Rootsmagic not to have fixed this problem that I remain skeptical of my "success". 

Thank you for suggesting this approach. It never occurred to me that Bruce's wrapper might not be kept current.

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

JP:  First I installed RM7 from Bruce and confirmed my wife's problems with displaying sources and research notes. I am on High Sierra and she is on Sierra. Then I removed Bruce's app and related files in case of conflicts. Tried Crossover from codeweaver and it installed rootsmagic 7 very well. Setup is a pain with folder location and fonts (we use arial and helvetica 16) BUT the display problems seem cured. Trial lasts 2 weeks now and purchase is $50/year. 

I will try further setup and use to confirm these results but it does look like Bruce is using an older version of Crossover that works for only some mac users. The apparent cure seems too simple and easy for Rootsmagic not to have fixed this problem that I remain skeptical of my "success". 

Thank you for suggesting this approach. It never occurred to me that Bruce's wrapper might not be kept current.

I don’t know whether it will help but thought it might be worthwhile listing some of the values I use:

In RM, I use Microsoft Sans Serif 12 point for all the fonts you can specify in Program Options

For my 5K iMac, the display parameters are set to scaled with a size that “looks like 2048 x 1152” (the default middle setting is like 2560 x 1440) - so characters appear a little larger that the default

In CrossOver, using the Wine Configuration control panel for the RM7 bottle, under the graphics tab, I set the dpi to 150.

I’ve run with those values for quite some time, though I did use other less satisfactory fonts until a few months ago when I inavertently reset my RM parameters and needed to respecify the fonts.

#11 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

jp: Arial 16 works well for us on a macbook pro 13/15. The smaller screens have different display settings.

I saw a control panel initially but now it does not show up at all in crossover so no ability to tweak settings.

Am getting several error messages from time to time.

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:56 AM

jp: Arial 16 works well for us on a macbook pro 13/15. The smaller screens have different display settings.

I saw a control panel initially but now it does not show up at all in crossover so no ability to tweak settings.

Am getting several error messages from time to time.

I didn’t see the control panel when I first looked last night with the all bottle view selected, but when I selected the specific RootsMagic bottle, it appeared (with other tools), perhaps after a few seconds delay, towards the bottom of the panel.

I’m just an amateur who is at least happy to try tweaking things - one can usually recover from nasty side effects one way or another.

#13 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:08 AM

got it. It takes a moment to appear and on my smaller screen it is only half displayed and needs to be scrolled. My dpi was 96 and I left it alone for now.

thanks