Photo

Best choice for virtualization: Windows 7 or 10?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

I am a mac user forced to try virtualization due to bad tech support advice. Does RM7 work better in windows 7 or 10? 

On tech support advice I upgraded to Sierra from Yosemite where RM7 works pretty well. It turns out that rootsmagic runs poorly on Sierra/High Sierra for retina macs and the only fix offered is wait for the native RM7 promised for half a decade, buy a pc or use parallels.

#2 les.warden

les.warden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:28 PM

I am a mac user forced to try virtualization due to bad tech support advice. Does RM7 work better in windows 7 or 10? 

On tech support advice I upgraded to Sierra from Yosemite where RM7 works pretty well. It turns out that rootsmagic runs poorly on Sierra/High Sierra for retina macs and the only fix offered is wait for the native RM7 promised for half a decade, buy a pc or use parallels.

My virtualization is  Virtual Box, Windows10, and RM7. Pretty stable since RM7 is a Windows product. This is all on my Macbook High Sierra 10.13.7. It works.

-les

#3 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

I use parallels for my virtualization with mos high sierra 10.13.7 and with no problem.

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

I found Parallels 14 and VM Fusion to be pretty awkward and resource straining with windows 10 on my mbp 13. Virtual box setup (and removal) is beyond my comfort zone. The current crossover from Codeweaver 17.5.1 with RM7 installed by their crosstie file seems to work much better than the version from Rootsmagic. No source/research note display mess and seems faster.