• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 khansen

khansen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

I'd like to get a tablet or very small (lightweight) notebook to use with RM6 To-Go at the Libraries/Archives, etc.

What do I need to look for as far as speed/capacity/etc?  

I already have a laptop that runs Windows, but don't want to lug it around if I don't have to.  5-7 pounds doesn't sound like much until you've hauled it across the airport or up a flight of stairs!

I want something small and lightweight that I can use to review my RM6 files while researching and maybe have access to the internet and email.

For now, I'm printing out stacks of pedigrees and family group charts.  Having my RM file would be so much easier and complete.

So what do you use? 

I'm not looking to spend a lot of $$$.  I've seen lots of cute things out there for $750-$2000.  $200 or less is what I'm looking for.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

One critical issue for you to consider: RM6-To-Go requires a full version of Windows to run. Not the old Windows-R nor the new Windows-S.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:47 PM

There is another thread on this subject that I did not bother to locate.

I have a name brand Windows 10 PC with 32GB of semiconductor memory [about 2 years old]  The current V7 Rootsmagic with about 22,000 individuals and no linked images works.  Newer models at the local office supply store now have 64GB selling for a little over $200.  A weekly computer column in the Columbus Dispatch indicated that Windows 10 updates from Microsoft may/will have problems in these limited storage systems.  Renae mentioned this in an earlier post in the other thread.  It would probably be a copyright violation to post the article, but it involved using large USB memory sticks and porting an update from a larger computer.  Or just turn off Wifi and freeze the version of Windows 10.  Or try to find a command to keep Windows 10 updates from downloading.

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

A quick Internet check found a major brand 14" PC with a minimal processor, 4GB, 64GB eMMC, Windows 10 Home, less than 4 pounds for $219.99.

This is double the memory of mine.  I know that RootsMagic V7 works on my system.  I have not tried RootsMagic V6 on this small system.