• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

On FamilySearch, I recently came across a family tree that a distant relative has entered and has done a very good job of connecting and documenting it on FamilySearch. I would now like to merge this family branch into my main RM database.

I opened a new database file and then imported the tree from FamilySearch. It brought in the names and facts just fine. I will eventually merge this new database with my main database.

The issue I'm running into is with importing the sources. This is my first time I've done this type of import and from what I've read in the RM manual and videos I've seen, it appears that I would need to manually import EACH of the sources for EACH individual. With a couple of hundred individuals, this is doable but will obviously take a significant amount of time.

Is there anyway to import ALL the sources automatically from FamilySearch for ALL the individuals in a RM database?

Thanks.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3388 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

I believe Renee will affirm that you HAVE to visit each of their Sources tab to add them. Automatically is not an option.

https://www.geneamus...urces-from.html

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

There are a couple of issues going on. One is importing putting strain on FamilySearch servers. Restricting the amount of data, by excluding sources is one way for them to handle it. The other is FamilySearch's concept of sources. They don't have fact sources but tags and those are different animals.That is why you are adding one source at a time in the FamilySearch Person tools. Then you can decide what fact you want the source attached to.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

I guess I'll just brew a pot of coffee and get to work. :-)