23 replies to this topic

#1 Dick Akins

Dick Akins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

When I try to save my work as a backup on exit, I get the following message:

"Cannot open file "C:\Users\ etc. etc." The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I can backup from the file menu.

I'm using Win 10 and the latest RM version.

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

Are you using any cloud storage (Dropbox, Google, MS, Box) on that directory?

#3 Dickie268

Dickie268

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

I have the same problem.

Cannot open file "C:\Users\Richard\Google Drive\Documents\RICH\Family History\Rootsmagic\Lewis.rmgc".  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

As you can see I am using Google Drive on that directory.  The same message appears whether I am trying to save to a) The above location, B) External hard drive or c) Directly to Google Drive.

Is the problem with the cloud storage?  I presume there is as BobC has asked about it.  It is only in the last few months that I have had this problem.

Richard

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

Yes, the problem more than likely is syncing with cloud storage, with the folder being inside of Google Drive. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

Sometimes if you wait a little bit, the Google Drive synchronization process will complete, and you can then exit and backup.  Google Drive tries to synch the file every time it senses a change, so when you change something in the database, Google immediately synch's.  Waiting lets that process complete and then you can exit with backup.  At that point, your backup should have first priority, and Google will immediately synch after it completes.  

If you hover your mouse over the Google Drive icon in the system tray, it will tell you when it has completed.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#6 Dickie268

Dickie268

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I have moved the .rmgc files out of the Google Drive folder and now I can back up to this new folder and to an external hard drive with no problem.

However when I try to backup directly to Google Drive using “To Google Drive” rather than “On my computer” I go through the authenticate procedure and nothing happens, the authenticate window goes blank.  But at least I can now drag and drop the backup file into my Google Drive on a browser.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

The Google Drive App hasn't been working for at least a month. We saw this same issue several months back until Google resolved it. We are waiting again. For now save it to your local Google Drive folder. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 woaple

woaple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

I'm still confused about a fix for this problem.  I have the latest RootsMagic7 and Windows 10.  Ever since I installed Google Drive as my cloud backup a few months ago, I cannot backup RootsMagic to my hard drive or to Google Drive.  I get the same pop-up error message as described in the posts above, regardless as to whether I use File>Backup or try to Backup after exit.  I removed the .rmgc file from my Google Drive folder as suggested in a post above, but Backup still won't work.  I've tried the Pause on my Google Drive tray icon, and Backup still won't work.  I've always waited until way after the Google Drive sync has stopped, but Backup still won't work.  Is this a Google Drive problem or a RootsMagic problem?  Has anyone got a fix?  Thanks.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

Can you create a backup without using any part of Google Drive?

Have you tried running the File>Database Tools after a fresh restart of RootsMagic?

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 woaple

woaple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure what you mean with your first question.  I get the same pop-up error message regardless of whether I'm trying to backup to my computer hard drive or to Google Drive. 

In regard to your second question, I have twice tried running the File>Database Tools after a fresh restart of RootsMagic.  The Tools seem to work fine.  But I still get the same error message when I try to backup.

Thanks for your reply.  It sure seems to me that there is a bug in RootsMagic and/or Google Drive that needs a fix.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

Try doing a backup immediately after opening the database file.

Also try disabling WebHints before doing a backup.

Yes, there are some issues within RM that result in one of its own processes interfering with another.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

Are you certain that only one copy of RootsMagic is open?

#13 woaple

woaple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Answering the post of TomH above:  (1) Have tried Backup many times after immediately opening RootsMagic, and it will not work--get the same error message.  (2) Disabling Web Hints does not work--get the same error message.

Answering the post of robertjacobs0 above:  Yes, I am certain only one copy of RootsMagic is open.  Backup has not worked ever since I installed and started using Google Drive.  Backup worked perfectly before that.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I still think there is a bug in RootsMagic and/or Google Drive that needs a fix.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

It sounds like there is some outboard process still accessing the file when you try to backup. Possibly a virus scanner or auto backup utility. You are absolutely certain that the db file is not in a folder that is being actively synced or backed up?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:58 AM

Answering the post of robertjacobs0 above:  Yes, I am certain only one copy of RootsMagic is open.

I ~believe~ robertacobs0 really meant more than one copy of the database being open at the same time (one cannot run more than one copy of Rootsmagic itself).

So:
- use File->Close repeatedly until there's no database(s) open.
- then close Rootsmagic and restart it fresh
- now use File->Open of desired database
- finally File->Backup

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

I get this error if the RM file being backed up is also 'open' in SQLiteSpy or other SQLite manager. Even though RM is otherwise unbothered, its backup process (a ZIP utility) wants exclusive access to the database. So does the 7-Zip utility.

So look for something that has the database file open.

#17 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

kbenson wrote "I ~believe~ robertacobs0 really meant more than one copy of the database being open at the same time (one cannot run more than one copy of Rootsmagic itself)"

Mea culpa -- thanks for straightening that out.

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:11 AM

Actually, one can run multiple instances of RootsMagic, and all could have the same database open. RM6 and RM7 can run concurrently. Either or both installed on a stick drive can run concurrently in "To Go" mode with the main app. More instances can be installed by RM2GO on all connected drives and can run concurrently.

#19 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

I get this error if the RM file being backed up is also 'open' in SQLiteSpy or other SQLite manager. Even though RM is otherwise unbothered, its backup process (a ZIP utility) wants exclusive access to the database. So does the 7-Zip utility.

I'm presuming that TomH experienced the same error with Backup <To Google Drive> only, because I can perform a conventional Backup <on my computer (floppy disk, USB, hardrive, etc.)> with no error... even when a number of programs all have same RM database open at the same time. I ran this program (Handle) https://docs.microso...ownloads/handle to show a list of programs having the database open and then did a Backup without issue.

2018-12-02-102647.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#20 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

I'm presuming that TomH experienced the same error with Backup <To Google Drive> only, because I can perform a conventional Backup <on my computer (floppy disk, USB, hardrive, etc.)> with no error... even when a number of programs all have same RM database open at the same time. I ran this program (Handle) https://docs.microso...ownloads/handle to show a list of programs having the database open and then did a Backup without issue.

You had me wondering if my memory was faulty but, no, it is as I described regardless of whether the destination folder for the backup is Google Drive. Actually, my default for backups is OneDrive but I tested once again with a newly created C:\Temp folder that is not synced with anything to the best of my knowledge. Whether the database file was also open in SQLiteSpy or SQLite Expert Personal 4, the RM backup was blocked by the "in use by another process" error. Close them and restart RM and the backup proceeds. So it is really intriguing that our systems behaved differently - mine is Win 10 - and both were using SQLite Expert (mine is still ver 4).

The Handle viewer is a good utility for woaple to try. I think you've posted it before but I had forgotten because I've used it but once.