2 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

Looking for advice on how best to handle.

(Redundant may not be the best choice of words)

I often run into hints in Ancestry for events or facts that I have previously posted to RM before I started using TreeShare. I found the information in other sources (Family Search, Google, and sometimes Ancestry, etc.) before I created a new tree in Ancestry and started using Tree Share. Ancestry will show the hint, and but I already have the data in my RM tree. My preference would be to kill the hint in Ancestry and let the data flow to my Ancestry tree through Tree Share. 

I'm reluctant to just reject the hint because it is valid. However, if I mark it as "undecided" or "ignore", it does not clear the hint in RM. If I accept it, a duplication of data appears in Tree Share, which requires a good bit of effort to check out and resolve the overlap.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

On the Ancestry WebHint click the Accept button and it won't add anything to RM. It just marks it as an accepted hint in RM & Ancestry.  If you only wanted the source to come into RM then check a box next to the fact. Uncheck any info to update boxes  Then only check the box at the bottom of the screen "Add hint to selected fact". Use the "Accept changes" button to add it.

There is a difference between "Accept" and "Accept Changes'. Accept only marks that status of the hint in RM & Ancestry. No data is exchanged. "Accept Changes" will add data to RM.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Renee,

Oh sure, when you put it that way it makes perfect sense.   :blink:

I guess I missed the concept of accepting vs accepting changes. This works perfectly. It also solves another problem I was having. If you are reviewing hints in Ancestry, you only have three choices: accept, reject, or maybe. Maybe assumes you will take no further action (RM hint light stays on). Reject turns off the RM light but you may not want to really consider the hint rejected. If you accept the hint, it turns off the light but it forces you to save the hint to the Ancestry tree. Using Web Hints in RM, and just accepting (only) any hints that already exist in your RM tree, turns off the light in both RM and A.com, and passes on taking action for the preexisting info. Then using Tree Share will add any new or changed info from your RM tree to your Ancestry tree, without any duplication.

As always, you have been a big help.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Redundant Hints Ancestry