• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShirlMcNeely

ShirlMcNeely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

I have found a lot of information on Find-A-Grave.  You can connect family members using the memorial #.  I have made a Add a Fact for it. 

Problem is I am not sure how to put the memorial # in. Currently I put a F-A-G note and in the Description field the Memorial # number.

I have made some corrections to the information on Find-A-Grave that I know are wrong.  Connecting family members on F-A-G helps others to find family ....     

I am hoping the powers that be at RM will take this idea and go with it.    ;)

Thank you

Shirl

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Anyone is free to create a custom fact and that sounds like what you have done. I've seen many that put the Memorial# in the description field. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3149 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Building associations through Names, Places and Timelines is the key to genealogy research in my experience both within RM and also using outside references.

I always hesitate and reflect before creating a custom fact that will only be unique to myself and look at how I could achieve what I want in RM. In this case I would tend to want to keep this information with the existing Burial Fact in the Description field of the fact or the Note field of Place Detail along with any media, there are many different approaches.

The one thing I'm not sure on is whether the Burial Fact description is enables by default, maybe Renee can confirm, if not it's easy to turn on by editing the fact type.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

The one thing I'm not sure on is whether the Burial Fact description is enables by default, maybe Renee can confirm, if not it's easy to turn on by editing the fact type.

It is not.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

I don't show the Burial description is on by default. If you check to include it under Fact Types make sure to add < [Desc]> to the sentence template so it appears in reports.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

I'm not clear on the benefit of adding a FindAGrave fact. I have them as a source, which I cite by the memorial number. 

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

I'm a source lumper, and I have a Master Source set up for Find A Grave. I copy the FAG info into the Research Notes, and download and link the available images. The Citation info is Given-name Surname Birth-year -- Death-year (e.g. Poindexter Mechanic 1950-1977) That's enough info to re-find the FAG record.