• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KatPez80

KatPez80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:48 PM

My tree on Ancestry is a mess (years of incorrect information/merging the wrong people etc etc).  

I want to start again but whenever I've tried on Ancestry it just uses my old tree as a template so I thought the best way would be to delete my tree from Ancestry. 

I've done treeshare to download it and get all the media from it.  I've also done a gedcom backup 

Am I now safe to delete it from ancestry. 

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

My tree on Ancestry is a mess (years of incorrect information/merging the wrong people etc etc).  

I want to start again but whenever I've tried on Ancestry it just uses my old tree as a template so I thought the best way would be to delete my tree from Ancestry. 

I've done treeshare to download it and get all the media from it.  I've also done a gedcom backup 

Am I now safe to delete it from ancestry. 

If you have done TreeShare and also gedcom then you should have all your media and individuals safe now on your computer, but do confirm, so I would then be happy to delete the Ancestry tree.

I would spend time doing the tidy up work in Rootsmagic which has tools to help that process, I wouldn't be rushing to get a tree back on Ancestry just yet. Once you are happy with the accuracy of your tree in Rootsmagic then upload as a new tree to Ancestry,

The Treeshare process once your RM tree and Ancestry tree are linked requires confirmation from you of each changed event or new person which can be tedious, as I work intensively in Rootsmagic I frequently delete my Ancestry tree and upload new. The one downside to this approach is that accepted hints will be lost and suggested again on your new tree but that doesn't bother me.

Nobody likes half baked food, so leave it in the oven and tend to it a bit longer till it's just perfect.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 dalejacobs

dalejacobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:23 AM

:blink: