Photo

Error message when trying to create file for first time.

startup error

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

In Windows 10 there are three types of users, Administrators, Standard Users, and Modified Standard Users. Administrators can do anything including showing hidden files and their extensions, manage Standard Users and give Standard Users special rights making them Modified Standard Users. A Standard User can install software under their own account and it inherits their security rights as to actions it can accomplish. Administrators installing software gives the software inherited Administrator rights. IMHO all software, including RM should be installed from the Administrator account in case it needs some rights that the Standard User does not have. An alternative is the solution I gave Ladybufrwv, right click the icon and select Run as administrator.

Jerry, you commented about hidden files and file extensions which is easily fixed in Win10. Right Click on the Windows icon in the bottom left of the screen and select Settings. In the search bar type file extensions and it will take  you to where you can change the settings. You have to set the radio button to show hidden files and uncheck the box on hide extensions.

Bob

#22 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

Jerry, you commented about hidden files and file extensions which is easily fixed in Win10. 

I should have made clear that I don't put up with such Microsoft silliness and the first thing I do with a new machine is change the defaults in File Explorer to be something I can live with. There are many things that need to be changed, not just the display of the file extensions. But I suspect that most users accept the File Explorer defaults, and therefore it is becoming increasingly less likely that users will be familiar with file extensions.

Jerry

#23 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

Agree, just look on Facebook at the number of people who don't know the difference between .rmgc and .rmgb!

...it is becoming increasingly less likely that users will be familiar with file extensions.