Photo

Error message when trying to create file for first time.

startup error

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

I downloaded RootsMagic 7.  When I click New to start my family tree, I get this message "RootsMagic couldn't create C:blankityblankblank.rmgc.   Please make sure you entered a legal file name.  I have tried leaving everything the way they have it, changing things like where it wants to put the file and what it wants to show.  What do I need to do to use this program?  I am using windows 10.  I do have FTM but it is an old version 8 for windows 95 98.  Should I take it off my pc?  It seems to work fine on windows 10.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

A great deal depends on what your "blankityblankblank" actually says. If I take you extremely literally, your are trying to create a file at the root of your C: drive which normally is not a very good idea and Windows may be preventing it. I don't know how you manage your files on your PC in general, but for most users most of the time it's best to keep most of your files somewhere under My Documents.

Perhaps the best place to start solving this problem is to do Tools>Program Options>Folders to specify the default locations where you want your various RM files to be stored. Different PC users have different needs and I don't want to dictate exactly how you should do it except to suggest that you get your files somewhere under My Documents.

Jerry

#3 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Jerry Bryan.  It actually is the default where RM 7 wants to put it.  The full address is C:\Users\ladyb\Documents\M and M Tree.rmgc.  The M and M Tree is what I put when it asks me to name the new file.  I have also tried saving it to different places like desktop, dropbox and also naming it different things.

#4 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

Try it without the spaces in the file name. If you need something to separate the name use underscore. Spaces can cause problems with the OS.

#5 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

Bob C.

Thanks.  I tried that and got the same message.  Is there a way to add pics to this post?  If not, I will post what boxes are checked and unchecked.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

image files have to be stored on an external host. Only the link can be copied into the Insert Image dialog and it must end with a valid image-type filename. I use postimages.org.

Open Windows File Explorer on that folder and see if you can create a new file of any type in it. If not, there's a problem with the user account or permissions. You are logged onto Windows as the user "ladyb"?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

TomH,

Yes, I am logged in as that.  and yes, I can create files in it.  I tried using the postimages but it won't let me add them here.  I am not real literate when it comes to this stuff.  Anyway,  when i go to create a database as a first time user of RM7, it is the defaults that come up.  I have tried changing them around but to no avail.

#8 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

Try closing RM, then right click on the RM icon and select "Run as administrator" and then try everything again.

#9 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

Bob C

YESSSS!  Thank you, it worked!!

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

Bob C

YESSSS!  Thank you, it worked!!

There is still something very strange going on. Administrator privileges should not be necessary to create an RM database in a folder to which you have full access. What is the full file string for your database? It can be found in fairly small print at the very most tippy top of your RM screen. It should start out something like C:\Users\ etc.

Jerry

#11 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

Jerry, I changed the place to save it to (I also did this before and I still got the error message)  but here it is    C:\Users\ladyb\Dropbox\Ancestry DNA Files\Roots Magic Tree\M_M_Tree.rmgc

#12 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

I don't use Dropbox.  But others have suggested NOT using Dropbox for active files.  Just use it afterwards for an external backup.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:48 PM

I assume you are logged on as ladyb?

I do place my RM database within my Dropbox folder, but it can definitely be risky to do so and the conventional (and mostly correct) wisdom is not to do so. I always pause Dropbox when I'm using RM and resume Dropbox when I am done using RM. But I don't think Dropbox is causing your problem. Just to be sure, you could pause Dropbox and then run RM without being in Administer mode to see if that makes a difference.

I also don't think the blanks in your folder names are the problem and I see that you have already removed the blanks from the filename itself. But in general, there are situations where blanks cause problems in folder names and file names and I recommend avoiding them even though they work most of the time.

This is a difficult puzzle to resolve.

Jerry

#14 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:27 AM

Jerry is right. Using Dropbox as the main site of your data is a great mistake. Dropbox can be fast or _very_ slow. "Very slow" can impede your operations. Also, your connection may drop without notice. And although I see that Dropbox seems to resolutely keep others out of your data, I haven't seen anything that says they they themselves don't mine it for advertising clues. Some of the other cloud services definitely do use their users' data for advertising purposes. It's known that Dropbox vets the files that come to them to see that people aren't using their service to share copyrighted data like movies.

Robert

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:56 AM

Was RM installed when logged into Windows with a different user account? Perhaps reinstalling while logged on as ladyb would clear up the permissions screwup.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#16 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:29 AM

robertjacobs0, 

I see what you're saying but I have used Dropbox for a few years in my home based business.  There is a shortcut on my desktop and I keep pics of my inventory, all my orders, graphics and more stored there.  It's used like another drive on my laptop I guess you could say.

TomH,

Yes, I am the only one who uses my laptop and it stays logged in to me.

#17 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Dropbox is a really fine product and I am heavily invested in all its fine features. I really love Dropbox. The reason there can be problems if your RM database is  stored in the Dropbox folder is that the RM database is a database. That means that it is not saved when you exit or when you do a Save as happens with most other programs. Rather, RM's database is saved continuously as you work. Indeed, you may have noticed that RM doesn't even have a File>Save option because there is nothing to save because everything is already saved.

Therefore, there are two suggestions with respect to RM and Dropbox. One suggestion is to keep your RM database outside of the Dropbox folder and to keep your RM backup files and all your other RM files inside of the Dropbox folder. The other suggestion is to keep your RM database inside of the Dropbox folder and always to pause Dropbox while you are using RM. I choose the second option, but the first option is safer.

Having said all that, your problem can't really be Dropbox. It's some kind of Windows permissions problem. You probably didn't do anything wrong. Rather, there is probably some kind of WIndows glitch. If I were you, I think I would remove RM from your system and reinstall it. Doing so will not cause any of your RM data to be deleted. After the reinstall, you will have to re-establish your default folder options in RM. Otherwise, you will be ready to go and all your RM data will be there.

Jerry

#18 ladybugrwv

ladybugrwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:59 AM

Jerry,  Oh, I see what you are saying now.  As I mentioned earlier, I am a little illiterate when it comes to these matters.  So, all I've done so far is import my gedcom file that I had saved from Ancestry.com,  I should uninstall RM and reinstall it in my C: drive somewhere?  And I know this is probably silly, but what exactly are my backup files?  Our elec was out several hours last night so I didn't get to play around much with RM.

Thank you for all your help.

#19 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

A standard RM install will place the program in a very reasonable default location on your C: drive. The first time you run RM after installing it, look at Tools>Program Options>Folders. You can specify default locations for five different kinds of files - 1) RootsMagic data files (your RM database or databases), 2) Backup files, 3) Multimedia files, 4) GEDCOM files, and 5) Report Files. For now, only worry about RootsMagic data files. Be sure that the default location is a standard place to which you know you can write. Note that the location for your RM files should be very different than the location for the program itself. Namely, the location for your RM files should at least be under My Documents and for everything except for your database itself the location for your RM files should probably be somewhere under the Dropbox folder.

As far as RM backup files, there is a File>Backup option to make a backup copy of your RM database. Also, there is a Tools>Program Options>General>Ask for backup when exiting option which will ask for a backup anytime you shut down RM. It's a very good option to enable.

If you are familiar with file extensions, the file extension of your RM database will be RMGC and the file extension of your RM backup file will be RMGB. Windows used to display file extensions for all files by default all the time. But for quite a few years now, Microsoft has decided that file extensions are too complicated for typical Windows users and so Windows tries to hide them from you. I think this is a horrible mistake on Microsoft's part. People are very smart, and if you present information to them in an intelligible fashion they will generally speaking make very good decisions. It's when you try to hide things that computer users don't know what to do. In my humble opinion.

Jerry

#20 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Try this.

1] Create another new user account with standard privileges.

2] Run RootsMagic in the new user account.

3] Don't set any folder structure under "Tools".

4] Create a new database called "Test"

5] Enter a person

6] Exit RootsMagic

My test account is called "Tester".

RootsMagic saved the "Test" database in the default C:\Users\Tester\Documents folder.

But I am still using Vista 64bit.