Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

All,

Like some people here I have been bedeviled with issues when using RM7 for Mac:

freezing when windows go out of focus

freezing when using Family Search functionality

sometimes exiting without closing the underlying wine processes

crashes due to the old issue with Apple's new filesystem and Crossover/wine

poor font visibility/clarity

Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and installed Virtual Box, created a Windows 10 VM and installed RM7 on it.

The difference is amazing - no freezing or crashing, fonts look like perfect crisp cleartype fonts that

I would see on a Windows box. 

I work in technology and I have used Virtual Box in the past. It took me about 50 minutes start to finish

which involved looking for Microsoft's virtual images that can be downloaded and used for free. There

is contradictory information online regarding how long the VMs will work for and whether they can be

"renewed" Some say that the Windows 7 VM can be renewed every 90 days for up to 540 days. I'm using

a Windows 10 VM because it downloaded before the Windows 7 VM. These ova files are distributed by 

Microsoft for free so that developers can test their websites on various combinations of browser and OS.

Virtual Box is quite similar to Parallels, available for free on the Oracle website. Virtual Box is probably a

little more developer focused and tad finickier to install than Parallels.

So far I am delighted by how well this is working.

Peter

Peter

#2 les.warden

les.warden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

Also thinking of following this path. I'm running on Macbook Pro. So I'm assuming you ran RM7 on your Mac from the Mac version (wrapped Windows). What are you running in the VB? Here's my forward thinking...I haven't purchased yet and I know they're working on Native Mac version (RM8?) so my dilemma is do I buy the full Mac version now and then "should" get the Native Mac upgrade when they come out, but then what do I run in the VB? If I buy the Windows version for the VB, I would rather run native on the Mac, so I'd be forced to buy another copy for the Mac when it comes out.

I'm not new to the Macs or Windows but just trying to find out what other Mac users are doing since I've read about issues with the wrapped version. Just to add, I have zero Wiindows machines in the household. This Win10 on the VB will be the closest.....and it already feels dirty. :unsure:   

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:59 PM

Also thinking of following this path. I'm running on Macbook Pro. So I'm assuming you ran RM7 on your Mac from the Mac version (wrapped Windows). What are you running in the VB? Here's my forward thinking...I haven't purchased yet and I know they're working on Native Mac version (RM8?) so my dilemma is do I buy the full Mac version now and then "should" get the Native Mac upgrade when they come out, but then what do I run in the VB? If I buy the Windows version for the VB, I would rather run native on the Mac, so I'd be forced to buy another copy for the Mac when it comes out.

I'm not new to the Macs or Windows but just trying to find out what other Mac users are doing since I've read about issues with the wrapped version. Just to add, I have zero Wiindows machines in the household. This Win10 on the VB will be the closest.....and it already feels dirty. :unsure:

Some of us work just fine on the Mac; some clearly dont.

If you buy RM, you can use either the Windows version or the Mac version (or both). The Mac version includes the complete Windows code plus some extra code - the Crossover wrapper, which is a cutdown version of the full Crossover product. Crossover is a packaged version of the open source Wine project.

Edit: So, from a future upgrade perspective, it shouldnt matter which variety you install. We all assume there will be a reduced upgrade price to move to the new version, as has happened many times in the past, but this is an assumption, not a guarantee.

#4 les.warden

les.warden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. Installed VB, downloaded Windows version of Essential. Running fine. I shared a folder between the Virtual Machine and the host (Macbook) disk. This is where I'm storing the database. When the native Mac comes out, I should be able to use the same database.

-les

#5 les.warden

les.warden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Edit: So, from a future upgrade perspective, it shouldnt matter which variety you install. We all assume there will be a reduced upgrade price to move to the new version, as has happened many times in the past, but this is an assumption, not a guarantee.

Based on this I went ahead with the full Windows version. Running it on Win10 enclosed (where it should be) on VB. Runs fine.

#6 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

"I shared a folder between the Virtual Machine and the host (Macbook) disk" 

How? Step by step please. I'm trying but without success - yet.

#7 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:33 AM

You need to install the VirtualBox "Guest Additions" to use Shared Folders.  See Section 4 of the VirtualBox User Manual.  Section 4.3 deals specifically with the subject of Shared Folders.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#8 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

My "workaround" at the moment - What I did overnight was add Virtual Boxes for Win 7 (have code, but took all night updating all the updates), Win 10 (could not "activate" because the code for Win 7 is no longer accepted for Win 10 and the upgrade path from 7 to 10 is no longer free), Win 10 Enterprise (evaluation for 90 days) and loaded RM7 in Win 10 Enterprise and then installed iCloud (yes, you can install Icloud access in Win 10)  and put my RM7 database out there to share, which was then visible in Win 10 Enterprise.  

I have thrown caution to the winds and I'm pretty sure Microsoft now has all my privacy compromised. (I worked closely with the guy who used to be the server farm manager for Microsoft when he lived in Bellevue, WA. He now is IT support for the VA in Texas.) Yes, Microsoft does look at everything that comes across its servers. Yes, there is still an NSA flag imbedded in the code for MS Office. And there is no real privacy in Office 365. But with my RM7 database I don't mind sharing with everyone, because that just makes the work easier.*

*(Snarky Remark)

Note: What I have found when running RM7 under Windows after using it under Mac OS is that every time I run the database tools, there is always a page of corrupted entries that are not visible when the database is opened under the Mac OS version of RM7. And perhaps that is why the RM7 version under the Mac OS is so flakey. Something is missing.

#9 les.warden

les.warden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

"I shared a folder between the Virtual Machine and the host (Macbook) disk" 

How? Step by step please. I'm trying but without success - yet.

Like mjashby said, you need the Guest Additions disk installed to then share folders between your VM and the Host (Mac). In a nutshell, and because I'm not sure I can give exact play by play install instructions, what I did was this....

Installed VB

Downloaded Win10 iso image from Microsoft (this will be my CD)

Installed a new Win10 VM using the iso image as the install CD

After Win10 up and running, installed Guest Additions by pointing again to the Win10 iso image (it's stored in the image)

After installing the Guest Additions, I shared two file directories on my Mac. One for the database and one for the database backup.

I know this probably seems short but being in technology so long, many times in installation situations, I'll just "try on the fly". I'll eventually get it figured out, but the small detailed step by step gets lost in the dust. The small details may rise again if I have to troubleshoot something, but that's another time.

Anyway, I hope this helps some.  

#10 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:30 PM

Virtual Box Guest additions - How to locate - 

https://blogs.oracle...ns-iso-download

BTW, when I use Win10 Enterprise for FamilySearch the popup web page is small and slow so I revert back to the Mac side fo things and I have much better joy using FamilySearch there. Running Win10 with RM7 I still get a nasty lot of "access violation" errors. Quite frustrating, so FS still does not play totally nice with RM7 even in a Windows environment. Database access seems to be faster though.