• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:16 AM

I'd really appreciate some input from users on the best way to document some information.

In 1852 a young woman gave birth to a son, the father was not named on the birth certificate which records the birth in a Poor House. Three years later she married and both took the husbands family name.

Step forward 166 years and with Y-DNA it's possible to show that the father was effectively the woman's employer. The 1851 Census shows the woman living as a servant in the household of the father who was married with a wife and two children.

Now if I map the son and his mother then add the father, Roots automatically shows the man and woman as 'Spouse' which is not correct. I can add the subsequent marriage and show the link to the son as 'Adopted' though I guess in that era it would have been an informal arrangement.

I'm sure this is not a unique scenario and I'd welcome the opportunity to know how others have mapped the situation.

David

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:10 AM

It sounds like you are rather confidant that you've puzzled this out correctly. I think the way I'd handle documentation would be to link sources to the Birth and Adoption facts, and include explanatory notations in the Birth and Adoption fact Notes.

#3 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the prompt response and a good way forward.

Trying it on a test Tree I think it's just the standard field names that I'm going to have to accept e.g. Spouse, because although I mark them as unmarried it still uses the term but with all the notes and proof behind it can work.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work correctly is the Pedigree Chart. If I move forward a few generations and run a Pedigree Chart the system ignores the birth father and follows the family line through the father by adoption. Though to be honest I'm not sure which line I want it to display at the moment.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

When there is more than one parental family, RootsMagic follows the line through the parents last selected on the Pedigree View for other reports and charts.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

The Pedigree Chart and the Wall Chart > Ancestor Chart follow a last-viewed logic.

That is, if you want the BIRTH father to show, make sure that the mother-birth-father relationship was her last viewed relationship (and vice versa, of course). That is the only way to control the branching on the Pedigree Chart. Unfortunately, that means you CANNOT show two such branches in the same report or Publisher Book.

#6 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

Thanks guys, that clears that up for me.

#7 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

I'm not sure if this would be of any help to you but you might want to check out "Charting Companion" from Progeny Genealogy Inc. It offers several different charts including a Trellis chart that would include both lines. Just an idea....

#8 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

I'll take a look, thanks.