17 replies to this topic

#1 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

Getting ready to buy but I have a couple questions I couldn't find in the FAQ or anywhere else.

I'm a Mac platform.

1-I want to use this program on two computers in my household (stationary, portable). Does my license allow me to do this?

2-Assuming this syncs with familysearch.org, if two people are working on different tree legs of the same family and FS sync occurs, will RM show entire tree (both legs) after sync? Also, will FS show entire tree?

Thanks in advance,

future active member 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:16 AM

1 - Yes, absolutely. Keep in mind that if one computer is a Mac and the other a PC that you'll need two separate downloads. But they will both work off the same key - like mnay companies, RM understands that our computing lives are complicated. As long as the 2 different computers won't be running RM simultaneously by different people, then a single registration key is appropriate. If the plan is serve two researchers with a single key, then that would be a violation of the RM license.

2 - I can't answer your second question. I do research on FS and A, but I do not use their online trees.

#3 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

1 - Yes, absolutely. Keep in mind that if one computer is a Mac and the other a PC that you'll need two separate downloads. But they will both work off the same key - like mnay companies, RM understands that our computing lives are complicated. As long as the 2 different computers won't be running RM simultaneously by different people, then a single registration key is appropriate. If the plan is serve two researchers with a single key, then that would be a violation of the RM license.

2 - I can't answer your second question. I do research on FS and A, but I do not use their online trees.

Thanks for the feedback.

Main reason I asked #2 is I'm currently plugging all my tree information (from a printout...from a previous tree program...that went belly-up) into familysearch.org. Since RM7 says it syncs with FS, my plan was to have a local copy, with backups of course, and use FS as a secondary site/backup. If that makes sense. Once I get all this plugged in, I don't want to run the risk of another belly-up situation so redundancy is a must.

#4 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

RM and FS do not sync, they share and it is one person at a time, one data point (eg source, B, M, D) at a time.

You should watch the webinars on FS at http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/

Also, FS is a public tree and anyone can edit and make changes to anyone.

Do you have a GEDCOM file from your old software? If so, download RM and install the Essentials version as it will accept a GEDCOM file of any size and save you typing. Once you have your file in RM you can see how it shares with FS after matching people.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Sharing/syncing your data with FamilySearch or ancestry.com doesn't really constitute adequate redundancy. You really need a regular backup of your RM database that is not stored on the hard disk on your computer and preferably which is not stored on your computer at all.

Jerry

#6 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

Sharing/syncing your data with FamilySearch or ancestry.com doesn't really constitute adequate redundancy. You really need a regular backup of your RM database that is not stored on the hard disk on your computer and preferably which is not stored on your computer at all.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I do backup my Macbook on a regular basis to 2 seperate USB 2TB drives. 

#7 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

RM and FS do not sync, they share and it is one person at a time, one data point (eg source, B, M, D) at a time.

Do you have a GEDCOM file from your old software? If so, download RM and install the Essentials version as it will accept a GEDCOM file of any size and save you typing. Once you have your file in RM you can see how it shares with FS after matching people.

I will watch the Webinar for sure. I was under the impression they did sync, per their comparison chart (https://rootsmagic.c...c/Features.aspx). Not really true??

#8 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

I will watch the Webinar for sure. I was under the impression they did sync, per their comparison chart (https://rootsmagic.c...c/Features.aspx). Not really true??

Not really true!

Watch the webinars and you will see what it does. Also, Download the Essentials version and create a test database of one individual that  you have on FS, and  match the individual to the FS person and you can see everything yourself.

#9 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

Did not have a GEDCOM file from old software. Using a printout to plug in previous data. Old software program was Family Origins. Hmmm...was that the program RM7 replaced? 

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Did not have a GEDCOM file from old software. Using a printout to plug in previous data. Old software program was Family Origins. Hmmm...was that the program RM7 replaced? 

Family Origins was the program that RM1 replaced. Since then, RM has gone through RM2, RM3, RM4, RM5, RM6, and RM7.

Jerry

#11 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

More RM7 questions and observations....

I downloaded RM Essentials, imported from FS using defaults settings, something like 10 generations. Took a bit but it did do an import. Then it started going back and looking for hints, etc. Seemed like it was working.

I did see where you could compare with someone on FS but you're right...one person compare (sync?) at a time. Guess maybe that's not a big deal if I just used RM7 all the time and let FS get additional data if it can find it. Which brings up something.......

I was looking at my grandfather which has a findagrave.com source. I clicked to look at the source, which brought up a splash screen in, I dunno, German maybe, then went back to English and said it could not view it and wanted me to log into FS again. I cancelled the login request and it locked up, which brings up a question......

When it locked up and I got it to exit, it left a "Wine" icon. This Wine icon I had to force it to quit.

Is the Mac version really just the Windows version running on Wine???

I ask this because the Mac has a really crisp screen (2880 x 1800 Retina) and RM7 doesn't look that clear. I'm thinking it may not be running in native mode. Or is there somewhere I can adjust the resolution? Or is Essentials different from full-blown RM7??

Anyway, just some observations and questions from my initial exposure to RM essentials.

#12 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Family Origins was the program that RM1 replaced. Since then, RM has gone through RM2, RM3, RM4, RM5, RM6, and RM7.

Jerry

AhHa!! Back in 1995 when I had FO, I was running under Windows. Not sure what version, but last version of Windows I used extensively was XP. Since then, I eradicated all Windows devices from the residence and replace with Macs.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

The current Mac version of RM is really the Windows version running under Crossover, which is a version of Wine. The installation of RM for the Mac also installs Crossover.

The entirety of RM is presently being rewritten using a tool which will allow a single source code to produce executable that will run natively on both Windows and Mac without emulation. There is not a time estimate when the new version will be released.

Jerry

#14 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

The current Mac version of RM is really the Windows version running under Crossover, which is a version of Wine. The installation of RM for the Mac also installs Crossover.

The entirety of RM is presently being rewritten using a tool which will allow a single source code to produce executable that will run natively on both Windows and Mac without emulation. There is not a time estimate when the new version will be released.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! When you say "new version", is that rewrite anticipated in the next version, or some future version? They give any hints??

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Jerry! When you say "new version", is that rewrite anticipated in the next version, or some future version? They give any hints??

We have been promised that it will be the next version, not some future one. BUT, as Jerry said, there are no estimates as to date and it has been a long wait. BUT BUT it is a huge undertaking for a small company and it has to be right before the increasing number of RM users get their hands on it, or chaos and major frustration could ensue. We have to be patient and keep the faith.

I use RM under the full version of CrossOver and have done for about 3 years, having previously used RM under Parallels for 4-5 years. I have found it pretty satisfactory and also use the Family Search Family Tree interface very actively. Yes, RM locks up occasionally, probably because FS has become unresponsive, and I have to Force Quit RM, but I can go for days at times without having to do so. If returning to RM after a long break (I leave RM open), I tend to use FS Central to logout and then religion to FS before continuing.

** Edit: You can find a font that doesnt look too bad, and adjust the DPI setting in CrossOver, but the characters do still look less perfect than you might expect - I use a 5K iMac.

#16 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I spent last evening reading through a lot of these RM forums. Its given me a pretty good feeling of where RM is headed and its history. Ive also downloaded other products that allow me to test before purchasing. Seems they are not Native either. My conclusion is this...
Im on a Mac so my selection is more limited.
It appears good things are on the horizon for RM.
It appears the horizon for RM would improve if they would be more engaged with their community users. Are you listening and reading these threads RM??
It appears there is always a risk that the next version could be like RM4. The readings werent too favorable there.
All that said, Im going to play a bit more with RM7, but will probably take the plunge for the full version. It seems my best option right now.
To RM staff...please listen to your users. It seems they have some wonderful ideas that could increase your base of users, especially in the Mac arena. We like the idea that in a multiple-windowed environment, update one window and they all update. Its the way we work.

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3372 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

It appears the horizon for RM would improve if they would be more engaged with their community users. Are you listening and reading these threads RM??

To RM staff...please listen to your users. It seems they have some wonderful ideas that could increase your base of users, especially in the Mac arena. We like the idea that in a multiple-windowed environment, update one window and they all update. Its the way we work.

Interesting perspective from fresh eyes and remembering my fond memories of Family Origins days when there was a listening ear and a willingness to make things better, I think these forum pages are more like a coffee shop for old dinosaurs now :D

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#18 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

A couple of points:

I work as a programmer and I hate paying my own money for software. Not because I think software companies dont deserve to make money. I've happily pushed for small and large software purchases (it always seems to be easier to spend > $100k than it is to spend $500 in a corporate environment). I have, nevertheless paid for more than a dozen genealogical software products and RootsMagic is clearly worth more to me than then other ten or more added together. It's just that much better.

The challenge for me , and possibly for many others, is "what is my authoritative database? what is the ultimate truth?" As soon as I began using RootsMagic it was clear that RM was it. Ancestry.com is a great place to explore hypotheses and do research. But its also a huge company with a long track record of leaving groups of customers high and dry when they decide to stop supporting X or Y. I have a few hundred ancestry.com public trees but the world wouldn't end if I lost them all.

Bein able to synch between Rootsmagic and Ancestry, *and* between Rootsmagic and FamilySearch.org is a killer feature.