17 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:47 AM

I am well aware family events are not available on People View but I would find it very beneficial towards reconciling dead ends if at least Father Name was available for inclusion.

Both Father and Mother Name is available for inclusion in Custom Reports and presently I need to move out to Excel to achieve something which imo should be possible within Rootsmagic.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

I would like this, I use a custom event called TAG for key information like this.

I looked but could not find a SQL code to populate description of custom event with information like this, is there one?

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

I was about to suggest a custom fact type named Father could be created and populated by a SQLite script. It would be available in People View.

I'm unaware of one having been written but there is one, at least, that does the basics of adding an event to each person. See https://sqlitetoolsf...to-each-family/

Edited by TomH, 15 February 2019 - 03:37 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

I once wrote a script that does very much what you want. I only had to run it once, and I never posted it to Tom's wiki. I'll see if I can find it again and post it somewhere.

What I did is very similar to what you want, but instead of just Father I put both parents into the Description field of the new fact which I call the Parent fact. It shows up fine in People View but in People View it lists both father and mother without distinguishing the two. My script added the fact to every person in my database who had parents. Since then, I have added the fact by hand to new people I add to the database. My real purpose was get parents listed in explicitly in narrative reports, something that RM doesn't really do. Getting parents into People View was just a side benefit. If you didn't want the fact in narrative reports and only wanted People View, you could set not printing in narrative reports as as on option.

I went a step further. I omitted the [Desc] variable from the sentence template for the Parent fact. Instead, I shared the Parent fact with both parents (or with only one parent  if there were only one) and used that role as a variable to fetch the parents' names into the sentence template. So my parent fact reads something like

Parents: John Doe and Jane Smith

Finally, I also created a sentence template for the role so that it lists Birth of Child as an event in the parents' respective timelines.

I minimize my use of RM's Shared Facts because they play so poorly with other genealogical software. In this case, you still get the Parent fact with other genealogy software with the parents being in the Description field but you lose the Birth of Child role with other genealogy software.

Jerry

#5 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Thank you both TomH and Jerry, I know this will probably be in the next version but I could make good use of such a script now. Ideally in a group if I had fathers forename in one fact and mothers surname in another I could achieve good grouping. From what Jerry has said this sounds possible and I hope you can find the script you used, I would hope I could learn how to modify it to suit.

I see I can send a private message through this forum, hopefully that works.

TomH, I will read your script and see if I have enough knowledge to modify it to suit.

Thank you both, think I'm liking this forum.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

I know this will probably be in the next version but I could make good use of such a script now.

I could be wrong about such things, but I think it's very unlikely to be in the next version.

I found the script and I would be happy to send it to you. But it's a very complicated SQLite script and a very long SQLite script for a first try at running such a script. Also, it's pretty rough and unpolished, not like I prefer scripts to be if I'm going to share them.

It first adds a Parent fact to everybody who has parents, provided the person has some sort of valid birth fact. The reason for this restriction is because it needs to add a date and a sort date to the fact being added to place it right after the birth fact. Dealing with the dates is one of the most complicated parts of the script, and I stole some code from Tom to get it to work correctly.

It adds both the father's name and the mother's name to the Description field of the same fact, which is not quite what you want to do. It probably wouldn't be too hard instead to add two separate facts, one for the father and one for the mother.

Finally, it does the sharing of the new fact with the parents which I described. That part is tricky as well, but it sounds like with your use case that the sharing would not be necessary.

I could add the script to Tom's wicki or I could get it to you in a more direct manner. Given the forthcoming transition of Tom's wicki to a new site and a new technology, he may not want anything else added to the old site at this time.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Jerry, feel free to post it to the wiki. Your stuff is such good quality it can only enhance what's there. I've been revising things there in the last week or so and have a pretty good handle on the migration process. I will ask for a freeze of a week before shutting it down but this likely won't happen until late August or even late Sep. 

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

Jerry, feel free to post it to the wiki. 

Done.

http://sqlitetoolsfo...ith the Parents

Jerry

#9 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

You could try the script on a test copy of your database.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

You could try the script on a test copy of your database.

Yes, it goes without saying - backup,  backup, backup and play on test databases. These kinds of scripts can be very dangerous.

Jerry

#11 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

Thank you Jerry & Tom.

As luck would have it things did not work straight out of the box, it created all the events correctly in EventTable but the EventType was blank and there was no "Parents" fact in the FactTypeTable. So I simply created the parent fact in Rootsmagic and populated all the NULL EventType fields with it's FactTypeID.

Already this is proving very useful, pity Rootsmagic were not so quick to respond to their customers.

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

Thank you Jerry & Tom.

Typically it did not work straight out of the box, it created all the events correctly in EventTable but the EventType was blank and there was no "Parents" fact in the FactTypeTable. So I simply created the parent fact in Rootsmagic and populated all the NULL EventType fields with it's FactTypeID.

Already this is proving very useful, pity Rootsmagic were not so quick to respond to their customers.

Probably be easier to delete your test database and start over. Before you run the script, create the Parent fact with the Description field enabled and create a Birth_of_Child role. Then, run the script again in your test database.

Jerry

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

Great addition, Jerry! I have renamed your page to be more consistent with naming patterns I've used for most pages and added tags:

Events - Add to all Children a Parent event shared with parents

There is already a pseudo "Parents" fact on the Edit Person screen; your script adds a dated "Parent" event.

Edited by TomH, 15 February 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

For some reason, link doesn't work - maybe because the page was renamed? This seems to work: http://sqlitetoolsfo...ed with parents

Jerry

#15 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

Probably be easier to delete your test database and start over. Before you run the script, create the Parent fact with the Description field enabled and create a Birth_of_Child role. Then, run the script again in your test database.

Jerry

This worked but with Parents fact (plural), thank you.

I changed name combinations to display father given and mother birth given and surname, it's helping me to associate lots of families.

#16 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

I am running the code kindly uploaded by Jerry Bryan pretty much as is with slight alteration to the Name Combine structure as below;

CASE
       WHEN Father.FatherID = 0 THEN Mother.Given || ' [' || Mother.MotherId || ']'
       WHEN Mother.MotherID = 0 THEN Father.Given || ' [' || Father.FatherID || ']'
       ELSE Father.Given || ' [' || Father.FatherID || '] ' || ' & ' || Mother.Given || ' ' || Mother.Surname
       END CombinedNames,

It is proving extremely useful in finding family matches and again I am confused why Rootsmagic do not include this for people tab. I don't know the company history but did read they were responsive to user needs, I am now wondering if anyone there does serious data comparison in research and if not am I some sort of nerd wanting this grouping on people tab?

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

There have been many scripts written and provided over many years mostly by TomH. Many users, including myself, owe him a debt of gratitude and the vast majority of the scripts fulfil genuine needs. So why has Rootsmagic not responded in minor updates and enhancements? Who knows, but not locking the database was probably one of their smarter moves, deliberate or not.

Maybe they want to keep things clean and simple for the majority user base but genealogy is all about piecing things together from sometimes very tenuous links, that's where I believe computing power needs to be put to good use by a clever programmer and not just facilitate data entry.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

If you open the People View with the sidebar set to Family you can see the parents names. 

If your working on a specific project you could color-code people with "Number of sets of parents - less than 1.

Renee
RootsMagic