• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VAtraveler

VAtraveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

I would like to see the capability of selecting the field in custom reports that corresponds to the Web Tags > URL field.  In all of my people entries, I have entered the Find-a-Grave Memorial ID for each of their burials.  Then I created a report with Surname|Given Name|DOB|DOD| and would like to have the URL show in the next field.  However, that specific field does not appear in the "Select Field" drop down.  Is there another way I can access that field so that I can put it in the report?

Example:

Surname      Given Name     Birth Date      Death Date    Find-a-Grave URL

Smith            John                3 Feb 1960    30 Jul 2018    https://www.findagra...morial/15589305

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

Active reports have been wished for over 20 years ago by myself, at that time they were part of FTM when I migrated to Family Origins,

We can only keep our fingers crossed for the next version.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

This is not what you are looking for, but you could copy the Web Tag URL also to another field somewhere in RM that could be reported upon. For example, you could store it in the Description field for the Burial fact. Your sentence template for the Burial fact could omit the [Desc] variable, but you could still see it in People View or in a Custom Report.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

Given that WebTags are supported for Persons, Sources, Citations, Places and Research Log items, it might be challenging to come up with a reporting feature that directly supports your wish. This page WebTags - convert to Notes et al attempted to bring them out in the Notes for the Person, Source or Citation to which the WebTag was attached.

For your specific want, Jerry's suggestion is one way to do it given the constraints of the current system. Another would be a custom fact named, say, FaGwebtag.

Edited by TomH, 15 February 2019 - 03:39 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:14 AM

Why do we frequently need to enter data in a non standard way or in a field not intended for that data to get the desired output in Rootsmagic?

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

I didn't actually invent my suggestion in the abstract. I already do something similar in my own database. Let me explain.

When WebTags first came out in RM, I already had callouses on my fingers from my experience with RM's Place Details feature. I spent hundreds of hours splitting cemetery names, hospital names, and the like out from RM's Place field to put them into RM's Place Details feature. After I fully realized that RM's Place Details feature does not play well with most other genealogy software, I spent hundreds more hours putting cemetery names, hospital names, and the like back into RM's Place field. I probably could have saved some time by accomplishing either or both of these tasks with SQLite scripts instead spending so much time typing into RM, but it appeared to me that any such scripts were likely to miss things that I didn't want to miss. So I am now wary of RM features that might not play well with other genealogy software. In addition, I was already wary of URL's. My background is in IT working at colleges and universities. And as such, one of the things I did for many years was to work very closely with faculty librarians, who taught me to be very wary of URL's because their useful lifetimes might not be vary long. The upshot of this is that my RM database presently contains exactly zero WebTags.

Nonetheless, I do record URL's to a certain extent. I record the base URL of www.findagrave.com as a part of the citation. As far as a specific findagrave memorial, I capture a screen image with all the memorial information and I also download the photo. I handle URL information for ancestry.com, genealogybank.com, etc. in a similar fashion. Sometimes it is only downloading the image and noting the base URL for the site, sometimes it's taking a screen shot and noting the base URL for the site, and sometimes it's both. None of this involves creating a Web Tag and I believe the way I record the data looks ok in narrative reports and also plays pretty well with most other genealogy software.

And actually, I try to avoid findagrave and visit grave sites myself whenever possible. Doing so enables me to make my own photo and capture very accurate GPS coordinates with the same handheld GPS device that I use for hiking and other back country activities. I can print the GPS coordinates in narrative reports for the benefit of posterity, and I can also turn them into URL's for Google Maps because Google Maps supports the inclusion of GPS coordinates in the URL string and it will place a pin at the specified coordinates. The WebTag type of processing supported by RM benefits only you as the RM user and the procedure I am using can benefit anybody who views the Web sites produced with my RM data.

I have actually switched over to GedSite for sites I create from RM data rather than using RM itself to create my Web sites. I think the same technique would work with Web Sites created with RM. I started out by putting the GPS coordinates into the standard Burial fact, but I have now split the data out into its own fact called Burial GPS. For printing purposes, I put the GPS coordinates into Description field of the Burial GPS fact. There is no URL in the printed report, just the GPS coordinates. For Web Site purposes, I include the GPS information as a Google Maps URL in a {private note} with squiggly braces in the Note field for the Burial GPS fact. I use the {private note} fact to suppress the printing of the URL in narrative reports. RM desperately needs a [Note] variable in the sentence template language so you can control the printing of notes in narrative reports. Then on the GedSite side of the house, I disable the Description field and enable the Note field and all is well. On my Web sites created by Gedsite which are in turn created from my RM data, you can click on GPS coordinates and be taken to a Google Map of the burial site. Actually, Google Maps used to be able to place a pin for you with a label. Google foolishly removed the ability to include a label with the pin, so I actually use a Google Maps app called GMAP4. The map is still really Google Maps, but by going through GMAP4 as a front end I can still place a pin with a label at the grave site on the live Google map. This is not just a JPG capture of the grave site as seen from satellite view. It's a real, live Google map.

And finally and back to where we started, the Description field of my Burial GPS fact works just fine in People View, Custom Reports, and in RM's searching and color coding and making groups process. The Note field of my Burial GPS fact works just in fine in all of the above except that People View does not support the Note field.

Jerry

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:59 AM

Just to clarify whilst the OP wanted a valid hyperlink in a report, my reply was referring more to active reports simply hot linked within the program. Printing or noting items of interest from flat reports to return to the program and drill into them by record# or other is just so last century.

I do believe Rootsmagic should try to understand why so many users enter things in what I would describe as not intended fashion, or not how I believe it was intended, and strive to overcome those issues. I will only mention various personal codes in Name fields, Place fields and the valid objections of Place Detail portability all of which serve to fragment and confuse data exchange.

Root

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Weblink URL, Custom Reports, Selecting fields