• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PatJ

PatJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:13 AM

I have just started playing with user defined templates and have created my own Parish records source template which includes fields for Church, Parish and Event Date defined as follows (taken from template export):

<Field>
      <Type>Place</Type>
      <Name>Parish</Name>
      <Display>Parish</Display>
      <Hint>Place</Hint>
      <Detail>True</Detail>
      <LongHint/>
    </Field> 

<Field>
      <Type>Text</Type>
      <Name>Church</Name>
      <Display>Church</Display>
      <Hint>Name of church</Hint>
      <Detail>True</Detail>
      <LongHint/>
    </Field>
   <Field>
      <Type>Date</Type>
      <Name>EntryDate</Name>
      <Display>Entry Date</Display>
      <Hint>Date</Hint>
      <Detail>True</Detail>
      <LongHint>Date of Event</LongHint>
    </Field>

(I'm a lumper hence in source detail not source)

When I used the source template to create a new source and enter the fields, I was very disappointed to find that the place type field was just treated as text and did not work in the same way as the place field when entering a fact, giving me a drop-down list of matching places from my place list.

Also there is no place details field type which I would like for the church name and also to work the same as place detail in the fact entry.

All the entries are already in my main place table e.g. Place: London, England, United Kingdom. Place Detail: St. John, Smith Square. so having to re-type in full every time I use that source template is not only a pain but leads to errors and duplications.

Also I entered the date in 24/12/1900 format and it converted (in the entry field) to 24 December 1900 rather than my default format of 24 Dec 1900. At least it did convert though so it is recognising it as date not text.

Am I doing something wrong in my template setup or is it something for the changes for next version list??

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3088 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:59 AM

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong. The only <type> values that are supported are Place, Name, Text, and Date. The best I can tell, the first three are largely the same and neither the Name or Place <type> values link to data in the RM database. The Name <type> does support inversion of the name to put the surname first. the Date <type> does work as you describe. It's working as designed or broken as designed.

Jerry