4 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

Sometimes there is a question whether the candidate has already been baptised; in which case the priest says, "If you have not been baptised, I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

You need a fact type for that.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

If that's an issue you want a custom fact for, go ahead and create one. It's easy to do.

In 30 years of research, I've never heard of a conditional baptism. So I think it is probably quite rare.

http://teamrcia.com/...sting-thoughts/

#3 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

I have came across it only once in 20 years, the date was shortly before the person married. I have assumed perhaps they were unable to confirm they were baptised as a child?

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

I agree. I've got at least a thousand infant baptisms (a.k.a. "christenings") , only a few adult baptisms and no conditional baptisms in my database. I actually know of only one person who was conditionally baptized as an adult. 

One thing to keep in mind is that an adult baptism (conditional or unconditional) is normally of limited genealogical value. Something like being found on a list of voters. It normally does not indicate age, place of birth, parentage, etc. , unless it does. I'd record it using the adult baptism fact. There may be a theological reason why someone may, or may not, be baptized twice but I know of no Roots Magic limitation on the number of baptisms one person can have. (A scene from The Importance of Being Earnest comes to mind. ) 

#5 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

I can't speak for the other Christian denominations, but it is a principle of Catholic teaching that the sacrament of baptism can only be conferred once. The conditional rite is only used, for example in the case of an adult converting to Catholicism, where there is doubt that the sacrament has in fact previously been conferred, typically where no evidence can be produced in the form of a copy of the baptismal record