1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Problem: Merge UI shows insufficient information to make informed merge even when using the Edit button to see further detail.

I have been working a lot with Duplicate Search Merge recently trying to resolve those most distant relatives where I often only have the fathers name and occupation and no proved regional information with the exception of a childs life event. How I tried to overcome this to so far was by having an Event called "Known Fact" where the date of child marriage or birth and place would be entered and then the description would read "son (Robert) married", this has provided me with additional event and geographic information to help my resolution process.

Timeline view overcomes that need on screen and I have been thinking of removing my Known Fact sanity check event from my database but the benefit within merging duplicates is still valuable, so no.

That got me thinking that Two mini Timeline Views side by side would be a much enhanced and informative merge UI display where all pertinent information including geographics and life events pertaining to the potential duplicates could be viewed and compared in detail so please consider this enhancement request. This would not only display much needed additional information but also negate the time consuming need for me to enter my Known Fact sanity check information for each distant relative.

The wishes for the indication of Notes, Sources and Media have already been put forward previously but I always find a lacking of information when trying to use these merge utilities so improvements are much needed.

dsm-timeline.png

dsm-wish-timeline.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic