10 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Have been using Tree Share since introduced. Suddenly today my connection to Ancestry has dropped. If I try to log back in to Tree Share from RM, Ancestry wants me to reconnect by creating a new data base. If I do, every thing I have done in the past will be lost, if it isn't already. Also all Ancestry hints will start over, requiring a new review on each person to clear the lights. Web Search, Family Search hints, etc are still working OK. My account with Ancestry is all in order and I can log into my Ancestry tree on line OK. Ancestry hints have also disappeared from my RM tree. Other hints working OK.

I tried restoring an older RM backup from when I know Tree Share was working, but no help.

Is anyone else having this issue?

What can you do to prevent having to start over?

Sitting tight until I figure this out.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Rick 

PS - If I create a new RM data base from Ancestry (rather than from RM to Ancestry) will the Ancestry hints all be recreated, or will the matches be preserved?

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Restoring a backup made when last connected should have resolved this, so something else is going on. 

Inside RootsMagic go to Tools>File Options>Ancestry and click on "Reset TreeShare". Then close RM and restart the computer and see if the connection is still there when reopened.

If not, they maybe you have more than one Ancestry account using the same username or email address. Switch which one you were using and see if it can then see the tree. If that works you need to contact Ancestry to have them merge the accounts. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

Renee,

I only have one A.com account.

I have restored RM DB to a known date when Tree Share was connected, but it still would not connect.

I tried the "Reset Tree Share", rebooted the PC,  and it is still asking me to create a new data base.

Looks like the only alternative is to create a new data base and then review and merge the old and the new.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like that is what you will need to do. Very odd that the restore did not resolve it. Something must have happened on the Ancestry side with the whole tree. You could ask Ancestry support to check if that tree has become corrupted somehow.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:02 AM

Renee,

I have renamed my old RM tree and then downloaded a fresh tree from Ancestry. This all worked fine and of course there is a new connection to the Ancestry tree in Tree Share. Now I am opening both RM trees and cross checking them. Any differences I'm dragging and dropping from the old to the new, merge (have to be careful here), and then make edits if necessary. Thankfully, most records are the same because I have been pretty diligent in keeping my Ancestry tree updated. I then update Ancestry, if needed, from the new tree using Tree Share. So far, so good, but what a pain!!

I hope this does not happen again. I'll ask Ancestry to check what happened, but most of the time they just  refer me back to RM Support.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Renee,

As predicted previously, Ancestry referred me back to Roots Magic Support. Their response read, in part -

"Hello Rick,

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to Roots Magic's Tree Share.

We're sorry for the back and forth. However, we do not have technical support for Roots Magic's Tree Share. Sorry for the inconvenience......"

I'm following the process I mentioned previously, trying to synchronize my old DB with the new one created by downloading from Ancestry.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7855 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:41 PM

Sometimes its best to not even tell them you are using a third party. To easy to pass the buck and not actually check the tree for corruption. If the connection is lost it was lost on their side since the backup restore didn't resume the connection either. I would be suspicious of the system enhancements they did messing with that tree location, that is why RM cannot find it now. At least that part is done on Ancestry and you shouldn't go through this again. Wish we had better news for you. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

Renee,

Not the first time.....thanks anyway

RickL

#9 RealSpike

RealSpike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:18 AM

Same thing happened to me last night. The Ancestry tree appears fine when I login from PC or iPad, but RM no longer sees it and wants me to upload or download new. I have to agree with Ancestry that this is a RM issue. I’ve used TreeShare from the beginning but consider it buggy and not 100% reliable.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:36 AM

That's a radical conclusion in the face of the turmoil in the normal Ancestry web service causing intermittent data access. And FTM users driven to distraction with FamilySync that uses the same Ancestry API as TreeShare. And FTM developers driven to extraordinary efforts such as the FamilySync Traffic Light which spends most of its time on red and orange (meaning don't sync because it's too risky).

Could it be that the fault lies with Ancestry?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

Tom,

I tend to agree. I started this post because my RM tree was suddenly disconnected from A.com and I have not been able to reconnect it. As a result I've had to rebuild a new tree on RM and connect it to Ancestry. (has cost me a ton of hours....) To avoid the redundant hint problem, I downloaded my tree from Ancestry to RM and the A.com hint links were preserved apparently. They have not reappeared.

Now, for about the last week, I keep getting freezes when trying to use Tree Share. Only way out is to use Task Manager and start over on my task. This seems to come and go and is not a new problem. It happens quite often.

Curious thing is that running RM alone, no problems. Running A.com alone, no problems. Running Tree Share ..... ton of problems??

Rick

---------------------------------------------

Whoops - this afternoon - Tree Share is crashing every time I try to access. I keep getting a variety of error messages ranging from "check my firewall and internet connection" to "Ancestry connection is unstable". I'm guessing there is just some kind of problem with their API because I'm having no problems connecting directly with Ancestry or with RM otherwise.

RickL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tree Share, Connection Lost