10 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

I found a baptismal record showing that the guy was born 22 April 1790 so I added that birth date. I adjusted a previous birthdate of 1720 based on his age 26 years when his son was born in 1818. I adjusted that to Disproven and a red line strikes through it, but it still shows in Family view, without a red strike-out and instead of the proven birth date. People need to preserve disproven items to warn other researchers about incorrect information they will find.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Adding notes to the disproven fact will let you inform others of its status. The red strike-out is for your reference. If the disproven fact is still marked primary then it will be used as their birth fact in the display. Change which fact you have marked as primary so the correct one is showing.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

How do I set one birth as primary over the other?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Open the Edit Person screen and highlight the fact you want to make primary. To the right in the row above the Save button you will see the checkbox to mark Primary. You may need to check the current one that was marked primary that it toggled off when you marked the other fact primary. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

And all this time I thought that meant, proven by primary records.

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

Open the Edit Person screen and highlight the fact you want to make primary. To the right in the row above the Save button you will see the checkbox to mark Primary. You may need to check the current one that was marked primary that it toggled off when you marked the other fact primary. 

That's a really nice feature which went clear over my head. Had I realized it I would have avoided a lot of head-scratching and heartburn.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3024 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

I have never understood the value of a fact in RM being marked Primary, so I read this thread with great interest. After reading this thread, it still seems to me that marking a fact as Primary accomplishes very little. Both facts still appear in narrative reports, and there is nothing in narrative reports that distinguishes the Primary fact from the non-Primary fact. Well, you can make the distinction with fact notes, but fact notes work just as well with or without marking facts as Primary. Marking facts as Primary can help you internally in RM with your own research, but I don't see how marking facts as Primary helps communicate accurate information to others. Fact notes are about the only way to do that.

Jerry

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Most importantly, marking a fact as Primary causes that one to be used in the age calculations. So, checking one birth fact as the Primary is not only reasonable, but important for accuracy.

I have taken two approaches, over the years, when I have multiple birth facts with varying dates:

A -- After deciding which birth date I consider most-likely-to-be-correct, I document all of the others in the birth fact Note, and put all of the sources into the one birth fact, then delete all of the "extra" birth facts. Thus no need to mark anything as Primary, and my decision process is documented.

B -- Change all of the non-Primary birth facts to a custom fact type:

Name: Birth (Alternate)

Abbrev: Birth (Alt)
Fact type: Personal

Sentence template:
[person]<%, a male, |, a female, |, of unknown gender,> was born (alternate fact info)< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

And, since this is not a standard Birth fact, then I need no explicit Primary marking, and my thinking is still clear.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3024 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Most importantly, marking a fact as Primary causes that one to be used in the age calculations. 

I had forgotten about that one. Age calculations are not just displayed on your RM screen. They also can appear in narrative reports.

My approach is to have a single birth date and for data about conflicting birth dates to appear in the birth note.

Jerry

#10 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

I have never understood the value of a fact in RM being marked Primary, so I read this thread with great interest. After reading this thread, it still seems to me that marking a fact as Primary accomplishes very little. Both facts still appear in narrative reports, and there is nothing in narrative reports that distinguishes the Primary fact from the non-Primary fact. Well, you can make the distinction with fact notes, but fact notes work just as well with or without marking facts as Primary. Marking facts as Primary can help you internally in RM with your own research, but I don't see how marking facts as Primary helps communicate accurate information to others. Fact notes are about the only way to do that.

Jerry

There is the option of marking a fact Disproven or Disputed. How does that show in reports?

#11 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

There is the option of marking a fact Disproven or Disputed. How does that show in reports?

Those "proof" options have absolutely no effect on the report, only on the Edit Person display (where Disproven and Disputed are struckthrough in red.)