#1 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

Hello:

I was searching for duplicates, and when finding them each time I chose to merge them I received the error messages. "Can not create file..."  What has gone wrong and how can I fix it?

Sandra

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:40 PM

Hello:

I was searching for duplicates, and when finding them each time I chose to merge them I received the error messages. "Can not create file..."  What has gone wrong and how can I fix it?

Sandra

Sadly and for whatever reason this seems to be happening more often as the life of RM7 progresses.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Look for the .DUP file inside the folder where your RM database is. It will have the same name as the database with the .dup extension. Delete it. Then after a fresh restart of RM run all the File>Database Tools. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

Shouldn't have to delete the .dup file. It is supposed to persist through successive Duplicate Search Merge operations and accumulate all those pairs the user has designated 'not a match' so they are not offered again as potential duplicates.

If, OTOH, there is a file named the same as the .dup file but with "-journal" appended to the name, something went wrong with the previous DSM operation. It may be necessary but is undesirable to delete this file; it is intended to roll back this database to its previous state after a transaction failed to complete but it's existence will prevent further transactions on it from a new SQLite instance.

There may be other processes outside RM that block it such as Dropbox et al active syncing, background backup and antivirus scanning. Try pausing them before anything else.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Shouldn't have to delete the .dup file. It is supposed to persist through successive Duplicate Search Merge operations and accumulate all those pairs the user has designated 'not a match' so they are not offered again as potential duplicates.

I was about to express the same concern, this "not a duplicate" list is a valuable body of work which I would not wish to start over.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root