2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:51 AM

I've been running RM6 under Wine for Mac on a MacBook as a way of using RM-to-go on a Mac. I installed RM6 on the MacBook but work on the database from a RM-to-go flash drive. It has been working great until a couple days ago when someone just shut the MacBook, putting it into Sleep mode with RM6 running. When I restarted it there was a media access error and I had to forcefully reboot the MacBoot to get everything working again. I then ran a database integrity check and found about seven problems, which were cleared up by running the repair option. However, now I'm afraid to re-merge the database from the flash drive back onto my main PC for fear that something might have been lost.  

Q: Has anyone ever experienced data loss from repairing a RM6 database?

Word to the wise: Always do a backup when you close a RM-to-go database, even if it's to the same flash drive that the database lives on.  

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3024 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

However, now I'm afraid to re-merge the database from the flash drive back onto my main PC for fear that something might have been lost.  

I can't help with your main question because I've never encountered data loss from repairing an RM database, neither RM6 nor any other version. But I did want to comment that you need to think in terms of replacing the RM database on your main PC from your flash drive rather than of merging the database on your main PC with the database on your flash drive.

RM_to_Go does not merge. It replaces. When you sync from your main PC to your flash drive, it replaces what was on your flash drive. When you sync from your flash drive back to your main PC, it replaces what was on your main PC. So you will have to decide if you are willing to do a complete replacement of the database on your main PC or not.

Jerry

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

Thanks. I understand that RM-to-go replaces one database with the other. I just chose a somewhat incorrect word to describe the operation.