34 replies to this topic

#21 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

Concerning the update you mentioned for Windows 10 ... My wife uses Win10 [I am with Win7] and her laptop did an update "on its own" and told us about it after the fact. First problem found was that she was no longer on HOME GROUP. Seems MS decided it was not necessary that Win10 participate with HOME GROUP. Her links to our storage computer [quasi server] was severed.

#22 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

Concerning the update you mentioned for Windows 10 ... My wife uses Win10 [I am with Win7] and her laptop did an update "on its own" and told us about it after the fact. First problem found was that she was no longer on HOME GROUP. Seems MS decided it was not necessary that Win10 participate with HOME GROUP. Her links to our storage computer [quasi server] was severed.

You sound like an astute Windows user, but for others... See <Share files in File Explorer> link on this page: https://support.micr...megroup-removed

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#23 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:19 PM

Very True...

The Threads Often Just Trail Off To Oblivion...As Did This One...

However...

One plausible "solution" I've discovered is laborious -- but works.

For some verdampt, unfathomed reason, it seems that RM7 likes to change the names of my media files.

Let's say I name an image file, a portrait of Abraham Lincoln,  AbeLincoln2 and it's designated as a .jpg file.

RM7 then wants to rename the image file as AbeLincoln2(2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC).jpg.  Why, I do not know.

Now, if I trim the "beard" off the AbeLincoln2 file -- all that (2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC).jpg. rubbish -- Media Gallery can find it and the image displays correctly without the verdampt and feared Red X.

So, if I trim the beards on all 4,567 image files I had in RM7 will they just be added again?

And, equally important, is there a quicker way?

"Genealogy is an infinite binary series -- both progressively and regressively -- propagated by means of a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease, producing a 100% death rate -- which we call Life." -- D. Spencer Hines - 4 June 1997

#24 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

Something else is renaming your media files on the computer. RootsMagic won't change the filenames it only links to them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#25 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:05 PM

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

Something else is renaming your media files on the computer. RootsMagic won't change the filenames it only links to them. Like This

Renee
RootsMagic

Windows 10?

"Genealogy is an infinite binary series -- both progressively and regressively -- propagated by means of a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease, producing a 100% death rate -- which we call Life." -- D. Spencer Hines - 4 June 1997

#26 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:27 AM

What were you doing on the computer at 2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC?

Did other files get that exact date-time suffix?

RM does rename duplicate filenames with a serial number in the process File > Backup with media. It has to rename the duplicate file and the entry in the database that is stored in the backup. So I guess there is potential for something to go wrong there

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#27 alanmon

alanmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:40 AM

AbeLincoln2(2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC).jpg.

That "(2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC)." is a suffix that Windows 10  File History adds to files that it saves.

#28 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

RM has "lost" my media once since I wrote last. It did not on the virtual desktop. All reattached fine i  I can't get itthe beginning. I have one file that did not the last time it happened. I can't get it to stay reattached. I will try replacing it and see if that is it. It was not renamed, just won't attach. I am hoping it is just a bad file. It's a census image. .jpg.  

My names stay the same. RM finds them fine with the exception of the one file. 

I have been working with the program a lot lately so it should have "lost" the photos by  now. So far, so good. 

#29 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

Make sure it's not a JPG2000 file. I would re save it with a photo editor or paint.

Renee
RootsMagic

#30 alanmon

alanmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

Make sure it's not a JPG2000 file. I would re save it with a photo editor or paint.

It's worth knowing that FTM16/2006 stores j2k files but with a suffix of .img, which may be a problem for RM.

I use IrfanView to do a batch conversion

#31 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

AbeLincoln2(2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC).jpg.

That "(2018_08_17 05_06_27 UTC)." is a suffix that Windows 10  File History adds to files that it saves.

Good catch! So Spencer is looking in the folder that Windows File History system is placing a backup of each version of a file. Here's a read for you, Spencer.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#32 alanmon

alanmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

Good catch! So Spencer is looking in the folder that Windows File History system is placing a backup of each version of a file. Here's a read for you, Spencer.

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

#33 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

It was just a .jpg file. But I have solved it for now by deleting the images and un-connecting them. Then I added a fresh one to the folder, same images, same names, and connected them like the old. They are fine now. I'll see if it stays that way. 

I tried to like Renee Zamora's  post to say I had checked the file, but I seem to have had my quota for the day. LOL  Not working right.

#34 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3408 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

It was just a .jpg file. But I have solved it for now by deleting the images and un-connecting them. Then I added a fresh one to the folder, same images, same names, and connected them like the old. They are fine now. I'll see if it stays that way. 

I tried to like Renee Zamora's  post to say I had checked the file, but I seem to have had my quota for the day. LOL  Not working right.

The "like this" does not work on this forum.

I would be the first to point out a deficiency in Roorsmagic if one existed and I can safely say Rootsmagic does not lose media files, nor does it break the links to them. It's important for anyone with such problems to understand the roots of those problems rather than just assuming RM is doing something which I certainly have never experienced regarding media.

Renaming of files outside RM is the biggest problem whether it's done by the user or another program, the implications need to be understood. Rootsmagic only keeps a link (address) to your media files, if you relocate to somewhere else on the computer then as long as the file name remains the same Rootsmagic can update the path to that file. If you or another program renames the file, Rootsmagic has absolutely no idea what happened so can't restore the link.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.1, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#35 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:08 PM

Thanks to TomH, Renee, alanmon and you, Vyger.

So File History in Win 10 is the Verdammt Culprit.

I'm quite familiar with File History and use it frequently -- and it puts beards on my RM7 Image Files.

Naughty...

I'll deal with it...

Cutting Off The Beards.