• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

I am a long time user, and I have never had a big problem until now. Now, I have had this problem for some time. 2 updates ago to be exact.  My image links break. It was fine yesterday, but today when I opened the program, all the image links are broken. Sometimes it will be ok for a week, sometimes a day. I have not moved the images, or changed anything. I am up to date. I have put a fresh copy on. I still have the problem. I know it is easy to solve. I am just tired of spending time while they all reconnect, only to have to do it the next day. I want to work when I open the program.

Sheri

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:42 AM

I've never heard of this problem.

Let's start with a very basic question: "in which folder are your media files saved?"

Maybe the answer will provide a clue....

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

I've never heard of this problem.

Let's start with a very basic question: "in which folder are your media files saved?"

Maybe the answer will provide a clue....

I've also never heard of this problem. Let me expand on the basic question. After the links are broken, which folder does RM think the files are in and which folder are they really in?

It sounds like you know where the files are really located. You can see which folder RM thinks they are in by going into Lists>Media gallery and clicking on one of the files with a broken link. The file path will be in a panel in the lower right hand portion of the screen.

Jerry

#4 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

I've named them rmmedia, rmdocs and rmcensus. I have had this setup for a long time. I have many, many images though.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

The number of images shouldn't matter - RM's database engine can handle millions, maybe billions of links.

My main database has about 24.5K media files with 143.5K links. I have had no problems like you describe.

You've told us the subfolders for your files, but not the path to those subfolders. We'd like to be sure you are not storing media in a path that has read-only restrictions, such as "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)"

Have you recently upgraded to a new version of Windows?

#6 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

C:\Users\famil\Desktop\THE TREE\AFAMILY2015

I have always used this method.  My RM files are in this folder and the 3 media folders. I have Windows 10. Had it almost 2 years. It did do a big update right before this problem. I had forgotten about that. Everything appears fine though. I am able to reconnect the photos easily, so it is finding the folders alright.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

I see no reason why your computer should repeatedly lose track of your media links. Perhaps you should call support, and speak directly to a tech.

#8 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

C:\Users\famil\Desktop\THE TREE\AFAMILY2015

When you get the red X's denoting broken links, is this still the file path that RM has for the files?

Jerry

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

Do you always log onto Windows as user "famil"? If you are using more than one user name, then having logged in with a different one will likely break the links that were fixed under the other because Desktop has a different path for each user.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

Jerry,

Yes, the path is still there.

This computer is used by only me. One user.

#12 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

This is an odd problem since it works and then other times it does not.

My first thought is similar to Tom's thought in that the paths are changing. For example, is C:\Users\famil\Desktop\THE TREE\AFAMILY2015 the absolute path name to the folder or just the location of a shortcut to the absolute folder? If it's a shortcut on the desktop then I can think of a situation that would arise if the shortcut pointed to an external USB drive where the drive letter changed due to being plugged and unplugged. In this instance, the location of the shortcut on the desktop would never change but it would not find the correct USB drive that the shortcut pointed to and thus throw an error.

Just an idea.

P.S. That's probably a convoluted explanation but hopefully the concept comes across. :-)

#13 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

No, I think I see what you are saying. I save my file in that folder, and the media files are in that folder too. They are absolute links. I don't have any shortcuts in that folder. It does not do this on my big old desktop. (Win 8.1) I use the exact filing system on it. I had not checked it for a while, but it is all linked. 

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

Next time this happens, before fixing, inspect the Media Gallery and record the file path(s) shown for the first few images. Then fix them and repeat to see what the fixed path is. Something has to be different in the path for the link to break and remake.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Ok. Thanks.

#16 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

I have some vague recollection of problems with storing files on the desktop.  Since I rarely do that, I don't worry about it.

My files are on a secondary disk in partition "F" as noted below.

F:\Documents\Genealogy\V7_RootsMagic\RM7_Gedcoms

Then there are other V7_RootsMagic folders for the data, media, and reports.  The backup folder is a parallel folder on the C: drive for physical redundancy.

What happens if you use another user account on the same computer and don't store anything on the Desktop?  Make a new set of folders in your other user account area.  Add a few dummy individuals linked to a few images.  Log on and off a few times.  Try a computer shutdown and startup a few times.  Otherwise, no other ideas.

#17 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

Try doing an Internet search for "Virtual Desktops" and related subjects.  There might be a hint there.

#18 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Oh, that is cool. I am working on that. I'll see what happens.

#19 ShirlMcNeely

ShirlMcNeely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

I had this problem years ago.  I finally stopped putting images in my data base.     :(

#20 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

Oh, that is cool. I am working on that. I'll see what happens.

I was wondering did Twigs find a resolution to the difficulties, so many threads are started and never concluded.

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root