1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

I want to wish again for TRUE Proximity association searching from geocoding or preferrably a selectable point on a map.

I received a gedcom only today and it reminded me of a pratcice I have seen before where an administrative district or borough was insereted into the Place Name. I believe this has been done to aid grouping of small local villages rather than backing out to County level or needing to remember all the local Place possibilities, an example in this file is "Caversham, BURY ST EDMUNDS, Suffolk, England" and that component which does not belong thankfully is always capitalized in this file.

Adding true Proximity searching and grouping by geocoding would overcome this need and encompass all villages within the prescribed proximity regardless of their Name, Parish, Township, County, State or even Country for that matter.

The present attempt at proximity reporting radiates out from a geocoded PLACE which lessens it's value in rural areas and for smaller proximity levels. Also the present proximity reporting cannot be used within Rootsmagic for the creation of a Named Group for further research.

Regardless of text notation style, Parish, Township, County, State, Country, Historical name or modern municipatity name I believe reporting based on mathmatical calculations from geocoding within a proximity would be a foolproof and valuable addition to Rootsmagic, adding the functionality to create a Named Group would be a bonus.

Ideally being able to see events within the viewable area of the embedded mapping window refreshing as the zoon level changes like Lightroom does with my photos would be a real quality add.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mapping, associations, geocode, geography