1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3268 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Drag&Drop and Merge operations frequently result in duplication and confusing family links which frequently populate Rootsmagic forums such as Facebook and these are largely avoidable using existing program utilities.

When you drag and drop a person from one database to another and check the box indicating they are the same person, Rootsmagic performs a mini automatic merge routine. If the two people were identical in all respects then nothing will be added to the recipient, if one or many facts have differences then they will be duplicated, that is another problem needing attention in the future.

However when you drag a person onto a match in another database indicating same person and selecting to include family members, everyone in persons tree etc. Rootsmagic does not perform the same mini merge routine on the additional family members. This results in duplicated individuals, phantom parents etc. needing clean up and time consuming unlinking. 

The way I quickly resolve these problem is to run Automatic Merges and I believe Rootsmagic should run the same Merge routine(s) on additional family members as it does on the focus individual thereby resolving much of the duplication and parent links at the time of operation.

Now I have read frequently about the fears of Automatic Merges but I have no recollection of any reports of false merging and I have no suspicions of false merging. If anything Rootsmagic still fails to merge some items like template Sources which is frustrating but I do have confidence in these routines.

Now, should this Auto Merge be automatic?;

My view would be no and I say this because dragging everyone in a large database into a copy of the same database could leave Automatic Merges running for a very long time, many hours. Perhaps Rootsmagic should prompt when the individual count in question is deemed excessive and suggest the user runs Automatic Merges when time permits?

Although this is a wish for the merge routine(s) performed on the focus individual to be applied to additional family members in the transfer I am posting it for discussion in case someone has positive knowledge of Automatic Merges false merging. I frequently check Properties before and after and have no reserves running them to quickly resolve duplicate people and restore family links resulting from present Drag&Drop functionality.

The graphic below shows family of 10 with one father for each partner and 8 children dragged to new database. The second drag was for one of the children identified as being the same person then Automatic Merges ran.

automerge-test.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 davidelliott

davidelliott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:19 AM

similar concerns with this issue  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duplication, merge, drag and drop, gedcom, family links