7 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Drag&Drop and Merge operations frequently result in duplication and confusing family links which frequently populate Rootsmagic forums such as Facebook and these are largely avoidable using existing program utilities.

When you drag and drop a person from one database to another and check the box indicating they are the same person, Rootsmagic performs a mini automatic merge routine. If the two people were identical in all respects then nothing will be added to the recipient, if one or many facts have differences then they will be duplicated, that is another problem needing attention in the future.

However when you drag a person onto a match in another database indicating same person and selecting to include family members, everyone in persons tree etc. Rootsmagic does not perform the same mini merge routine on the additional family members. This results in duplicated individuals, phantom parents etc. needing clean up and time consuming unlinking. 

The way I quickly resolve these problem is to run Automatic Merges and I believe Rootsmagic should run the same Merge routine(s) on additional family members as it does on the focus individual thereby resolving much of the duplication and parent links at the time of operation.

Now I have read frequently about the fears of Automatic Merges but I have no recollection of any reports of false merging and I have no suspicions of false merging. If anything Rootsmagic still fails to merge some items like template Sources which is frustrating but I do have confidence in these routines.

Now, should this Auto Merge be automatic?;

My view would be no and I say this because dragging everyone in a large database into a copy of the same database could leave Automatic Merges running for a very long time, many hours. Perhaps Rootsmagic should prompt when the individual count in question is deemed excessive and suggest the user runs Automatic Merges when time permits?

Although this is a wish for the merge routine(s) performed on the focus individual to be applied to additional family members in the transfer I am posting it for discussion in case someone has positive knowledge of Automatic Merges false merging. I frequently check Properties before and after and have no reserves running them to quickly resolve duplicate people and restore family links resulting from present Drag&Drop functionality.

The graphic below shows family of 10 with one father for each partner and 8 children dragged to new database. The second drag was for one of the children identified as being the same person then Automatic Merges ran.

automerge-test.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 davidelliott

davidelliott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:19 AM

similar concerns with this issue  :)

#3 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:00 AM

Oh, what a mess I've made!

Looking for suggestions on how best to clean up the mess I've got myself in.

Had been working on Database A.  At some stage I made a copy (call it Database B) and kept working (additions and updates) in that one.  

Then without realising I went back and started working (additions and updates) to Database A again (let's call it A2).

So now I've got my original Database A backup.

Database B with new additions and some updates to old records.

Database A2 with some other new records and some updates to old records (some new records and updates overlap B)

I can identify the new records in A2 and B based on the record number when they 'split', and I can find the updates based on last edited date.

I'm trying to find the best workflow to combine hopefully A2 and B to come up with the latest new database.

So far I've looked at File Compare - doesn't bring over the relationships.

Drag and drop has had some success, if I follow up by Automatic Merges, but I've found a few cases where some of the relationship facts still didn't transfer correctly.  

I'm yet to try extracting new records from B and A2 and importing them to new copy of A (not sure if it will reconnect to existing records, sources, etc)

I've got approximately 400 new/updated individuals to add/fix.

Any suggestions for the best way to merge/add databases to keep the relationships, sources, citations intact?

Thanks.

Dean.

#4 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

Thinking about this further and a bit more testing, I'm looking for some guidance on how to export and reimport people from one database to another and reestablish relationship links (marriage, mother/father, etc).

As an example Person1 exists in my original Database A.  When I started using Database B I added a spouse (Person 2) to Person1.

What's the best way to get Person2 back into Database A with the relationship and any new Sources/Citations that may have been entered in Database B.

I tried to export and GEDCOM import the new Person2 (and other new records) but they did loose the relationship info.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:33 AM

If you are comfortable with the potential losses inherent with transfers, you could try drag'n'drop of everyone and everything from both forked databases into one new one and then run automatic merges.

The only way to bring relationships between new people and existing people is to transfer both at the same time.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:15 AM

The only way to bring relationships between new people and existing people is to transfer both at the same time.

Another way to say the same thing is that if you transfer one person at a time, you will lose all relationship data.

In general, I like dealing with one person at a time - collecting all their evidence and then entering all their evidence and facts and events into RM before going on to the next person. But that won't work with drag and drop because it loses the relationship data. So if you have John Doe, his wife Jane Smith, and all their children in two different databases, then to do a merge that maintains relationships you have to do some sort of drag and drop (or GEDCOM export/import, which amounts to the same thing) which transfers all the related people all in one go.

Jerry

#7 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

Thanks guys.

Is there any way to select a group of people plus one level of relationships - whether it be parents, spouse or children?

I can easily grab all my new people, but I'm thinking if I grab them plus a one level relationship that will maintain the relationships, and then as Tom suggests I clean up any possible duplicates.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

No simple way I know of. If you can create a group of all these new people and color-code them, then you could set the sidebar index to display the group and the main view to Family. Select the person at the top of the group list, you can see the immediate relatives in the Family View. Right-click on the uncolored ones, select Quick Groups and add them to your group. Step down to the next red one in the list and repeat. Repeat until the end of the group list. Now you have your expanded group for Export.

Note that the Share Merge function recognises those persons who originated from the same database and automatically merges them. So before you go the laborious route suggested above, try what I first suggested and see how badly or how well it turns out. 

Edited by TomH, 27 February 2019 - 04:32 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duplication, merge, drag and drop, gedcom, family links