8 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:35 AM

I wish for RM's restore function to be able to restore to the same folder with a different database name - a nondestructive restore to the same folder. The current design requires a restore to a different folder if the restore is to be nondestructive. Restoring to a different folder can be a very error prone process. And even if you manage to restore successfully to a different folder, having two databases by the same name in different folders can be very confusing and error prone - causing lost data.

Jerry

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

A simple solution might be to have RM append the backup file's creation date to the original filename. 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7769 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

I wish for RM's restore function to be able to restore to the same folder with a different database name - a nondestructive restore to the same folder. The current design requires a restore to a different folder if the restore is to be nondestructive. Restoring to a different folder can be a very error prone process. And even if you manage to restore successfully to a different folder, having two databases by the same name in different folders can be very confusing and error prone - causing lost data.

Jerry

A simple solution might be to have RM append the backup file's creation date to the original filename. 

Gets my vote, simple, effective and would allow Compare Files to be used without risk of overwrite.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

I also use the same file folder but add manually the date to the file.  Simple solution for me.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

The deeper problem is that you cannot from the RM user interface add a date or anything else to name of the file being restored as a part of the restore process. The best you can do from the RM user interface if you want to keep your RMGC files in the same folder is to rename the existing file before the restore process.

I personally would prefer the existing file to keep its existing name and for the restored file to be the one with the new name - whatever that new name might be including a date. However, RM's backup files are compressed. I suspect that RM is using licensed file compression software of some sort rather than doing the compression on its own. An RMGB file looks a lot like a ZIP file to me even though it doesn't have a ZIP file extension. As such, I suspect that RM has no control over the file name used for the restored file. Therefore, the best RM can do probably would be to do the rename I mentioned in the first paragraph as a part of the restore process. Indeed, appending the current date (and time?) to the existing file before the restore could be a great solution if indeed RM has no control over the file name used for the restored file.

Jerry

#7 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

Jerry,

The backup is a ZIP file so it can be opened with any ZIP file utility or with File Explorer if you change the filename to .ZIP.

You can accomplish what you want manually. Open the backup, drag the .RMGC file to your desktop. Rename the backup. Drag the database file to where you want it stored. Simple enough to do.

Jim

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

The backup is a ZIP file so it can be opened with any ZIP file utility or with File Explorer if you change the filename to .ZIP.

You can accomplish what you want manually. Open the backup, drag the .RMGC file to your desktop. Rename the backup. Drag the database file to where you want it stored. Simple enough to do.

The goal is an automated restore rather than a manual process, with the restore going to the same folder as the original RMGC file and with the restore not destroying the RMGC file that's already there. If the RMGB file is a real ZIP file in disguise, it should be possible for RM to rename the file that's embedded within the RMGB/ZIP file before the restore.

I didn't know that an RMGB file was a real ZIP file in disguise. That's good information. I'm familiar with the concept because KML and KMZ files work the same way. A KMZ file is a compressed KML file. If you rename a KMZ extension to a ZIP extension, you can see and manipulate the embedded KML file with any ZIP utility including Windows File Explorer itself. In the other direction, if you have a KML file and need a KMZ file and don't have a KML to KMZ converter, you can zip the KML file and then rename the resultant ZIP file to a KMZ extension.

Jerry

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7769 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

The directions on restoring a backup over 4GB first step is to rename the file extension from .rmgb to .zip so you can extract it.

https://support.root...kups-over-4-GB-

Renee
RootsMagic