• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 john1965

john1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

Forgive me if this the wrong place to post this.  I have an issue that's probably easy to resolve, but I'm unsure how to do it.  I tried searching for an answer but didn't find any that were *specific* enough for me to proceed.  I'm hesitant to move forward for fear of losing something forever.  Here is my issue:

On an earlier tree (made in rootsmagic 6 or earlier) I had a person note that was basically a biography of the person and his immediate family.  Somewhere along the line (possibly during an upgrade) it vanished!  I have other small bios written in Notes under Person Details.  They all survived whatever action it was that caused the loss.  I do, however, have several backups saved to a flash drive.  Each was made with an earlier version of Rootsmagic.  I'm currently using 7.  Is there a way to "open" a backup to look at the info I lost?  I understand how to use the File>Restore function, but it is my understanding this will overwrite my current tree.  I read something about doing it into a different directory (my answer lies therein, I"d imagine) but that is something beyond my skill level.  Can someone help me (with step by step instructions) a way to do what I want to do?  If all else fails, I'll just have to start researching everything a second time.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.  You can always email me if this is not the appropriate place for this inquiry.

john

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

Have you tried downloading the old version (http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/), restoring the backup and the opening it in RM7?

You can then open the two files side by side and see the person notes in each and cut and paste from one file to another.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3190 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

Have you tried downloading the old version (http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/), restoring the backup and the opening it in RM7?

You can then open the two files side by side and see the person notes in each and cut and paste from one file to another.

I would agree with this suggestion, I can't understand how such a Note would get lost in conversion.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

If the database name is the same between the current version and the older versions, make certain that you have a good current backup and do the restoration of the older versions in a different folder.

For what it is worth, I have separate folders for files from Ver 4, Ver 5, Ver 6, and Ver 7.  However, I accidentally let the RM update delete the previous versions.  But I keep the download RM files and could restore the older versions if needed.  Or I could download them again from the RM website.

#5 john1965

john1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion(s).  I will try downloading the older version.

I don't know how such a note could get lost in a conversion either, but alas, it is gone.  Perhaps it was lost another way but those possibilities are even less likely.

Thanks to everybody.  If I fail, I'll be back with follow-up questions.

john

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

You could rename your current file to a unique name so that it cannot be overwritten by a restore. Rename either from within RM using File>Rename or by using Windows file manager when the database is not open in RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3061 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

You could rename your current file to a unique name so that it cannot be overwritten by a restore. Rename either from within RM using File>Rename or by using Windows file manager when the database is not open in RM.

I strongly recommend Tom's suggestion. With the "restore to a different folder" method, it is extremely easy to make a mistake and destroy your existing database. RM needs a non-destructive restore to a different name in the same folder.

Jerry

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

It is worth mentioning again that if you have two or more physical disk drives [NOT JUST PARTITIONS ON ONE DRIVE!], keep your database file on one drive and the backup files on another drive.  If you have a disk drive crash on one drive, you still have data on the other drive.  Also cloud storage [but I don't do it] for backup files is a consideration.  Offline storage of backups on CD-R or flash drives in a safety deposit box could help.

#9 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

It is worth mentioning again that if you have two or more physical disk drives [NOT JUST PARTITIONS ON ONE DRIVE!], keep your database file on one drive and the backup files on another drive.  If you have a disk drive crash on one drive, you still have data on the other drive.  Also cloud storage [but I don't do it] for backup files is a consideration.  Offline storage of backups on CD-R or flash drives in a safety deposit box could help.

I let RM back up to a folder on the same drive as my database but have a backup programme that runs automatically  each evening copying any file that has changed to a network attached drive which hopefully achieves pretty much the same result. Copies on CD also go to a cousin who is also researching now and then.

The important thing as John says is back up!!