50 replies to this topic

#41 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:22 AM

Because we can reveal the issues we are having with the SQL database. We are the yellow canary in the mine. If you don't like beta testing to find and quash bugs, then don't participate in this forum thread.

#42 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:33 AM

Agreed. I just wish RM developers would be more open with us.

#43 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Small software company, thin resources. I just like being on the bleeding edge and I appreciate what RootsMagic has done to help me resolve family historic myths and legend and bottlenecks and barriers in research threads. What sold me was the one-button duplication resolver when the family was still using PAF. I'd still like to see RootsMagic use relational database technologies so the program can be multitasked. SQL Lite is so 1980s.

#44 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

Darn999:  I switched to FTM mac 2 years ago with trepidation due to it's terrible reputation in the hands of Ancestry. Under Mackiev it is a great and stable product running natively on the mac. My spouse uses the RM7 crossover version but Rootsmagic has failed to update the wrapper to fix problems under Sierra and High Sierra. The current version from Codeweavers does seem to resolve most problems but is not yet available from Bruce.

Mjashby:  the current rootsmagic mac version fails to work well under the last 2 released mac os versions. People were excited when the initial Mojave betas solved Bruce's Wine version issues and disappointed when later betas returned the unaddressed issues. A native mac RM8 has been in the wind for years. We just want a reasonably stable crutch version now.

#45 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

I found the dreamweaver download to work well, so I do not understand why after my testing that RM did not grab the ball and run with it. Perhaps the license was too costly.

#46 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:08 PM

Now that OS 10.14 has actually been released, has anyone else installed it yet?

I've installed it on my MacBook (I do my main work on my iMac, so I do have a safety net), and so far nothing dreadful has happened with RM. But I haven't done anything especially taxing yet, so maybe there are troubles to come - or maybe not?

I just wondered how all you former beta testers are getting on?

Incidentally, I didn't (or at least haven't yet) done an uninstall/reinstall of RM.

#47 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:01 AM

Using it on my iMac from time to time. I'd like to say without problems but let's just say without serious problems. During the beta cycle I re-installed it twice including when I received the 'final' version of Mojave.

#48 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Perhaps next time I won't comment. Overnight updated to the latest beta and once again had to re-install RM7 as it was locking up :-/

#49 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

I am running RM7 over under Virtual Box and Win10 Enterprise. Surprise surprise, I get the same problems I experience using RM7 under Mac OS and sometimes worse when accessing FamilySearch. Not a whole lot of difference. And I run FM on the Mac side  with Firefox because it runs so much faster than Edge.

#50 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:31 AM

Still no problems with Mojave and RM on my MacBook, but a thought has just occurred to me: I don't use TreeShare on on the laptop, only on the iMac, AND I only use FamilySearch for hints (I'm not LDS).

So could it be that the problems are with the Ancestry and FamilySearch APIs?

I was going to update the iMac today, but I think I'll wait a little ...

#51 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:22 AM

Just to be clear, the public version of Mojave gave no problems. The re-install I mentioned yesterday was to the latest Beta version.