50 replies to this topic

#21 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:00 AM

Clean install. Version 7.5.7.0  for 12 June 2018. Complete database tools run just prior to clean install and backup. I will see if there is any improvement.

#22 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Much better, but does not let me check login options for automatic login to FamilySearch, only manual entry each time. Said my manual entry was inaccurate which blocked me from entering FamilySearch. Try again. User name and password okay, just don't click the 2 options for auto entry or risk being locked out from multiple attempts. 

#23 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

Recognizes  Tools > File Options > FamilySearch > WebHint Options > FamilySearch Login for FamilySearch Hinting. FamilySearch Hinting works. 

#24 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

Logging into FamilySearch manually and then backing out gracefully from RM7 (exit instead of Force quit). Going back in after using FamilySearch and backing out gracefully twice and then checking the options for auto login to FamilySearch finally worked without false error stating I was not using the correct username/ password combo for FamilySearch.

#25 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

BTW Renee, thanks so much for the instructions for the real update to RM7 over on the pinned item for High Sierra. Very helpful! Mac OS Mojave has moved some things around so trying to find certain files to remove for RM7 for a clean install got challenging. 

Anyway, this post today regards the constant "access violation" errors that force us to force quit, since RM7 freezes in place when working with FamilySearch. I can only guess what the access violations are when updating files. Where do we go to get educated on the various errors codes we experience in RM7? 

My guess is that there is some glitch between RM7 api and FamilySearch and FamilySearch doesn't like it when we attempt to update files in FamilySearch via RM7. How can that tendency be suppressed?

#26 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

Say "Mojave" with a Canadian accent - Like we want more; "Mo Have - eh?"

#27 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

Here's a list of FamilySearch error codes - https://www.familyse...tp-status-codes

There are some descriptions that are not included. I guess they added the most common description for that error message.  Any errors in RM you can usually google because they would be similar in other software. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#28 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

However, none of those HTML error codes show up when working through the RM7 database on this end. So the errors we see and experience that lock down RM7 in Mac OS are not HTML generated. We are dealign with RM7 database gotchas bumping into FamilySearch API traps and like dummies we fall for them every time because we do not know how to avoid them - yet. 

#29 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

One example of errors is the dread "access violation";

If you have been getting the access violation at address error, it means that the software on your system tried to access a protected memory address. The memory address which is protected should not be accessed by the program you are trying to run, except for the program that is currently using it. So for example, if the memory piece is called “delta” and the program with access to it is called “alpha”; only alpha could access the delta memory address. The access violation at address error will be followed by a series of letters and numbers.

What Does the Access Violation at Address Error Mean?

Unlike a hexadecimal error code, this error code is used to identify the cause of the problem and the fix for the problem. If you have this error loaded up when you restart your computer, you should try running dxdiag on the Run prompt from the Start menu. This will show you the DirectX files. There are three solutions for this problem. If you have DirectX on your computer, the problem may be because it was not properly installed. You should uninstall it from your system and re-download the application file from the Microsoft website.

How-to-Fix-an-Access-Violation-at-AddresHow Do You Fix the Access Violation at Address Error?

Install the program with a fresh start and see if it has helped. You could also try changing the settings for DirectX by switching between output and input. If your drivers are not the latest Windows Hardware Quality Labs certified drivers, you will need to download the appropriate soundcard for your system. When downloading them, you need to get them from the official site of the soundcard manufacturer. You may also have an issue with the branding of the memory drives, as they are not compatible. You can try third party tracking systems to see where the exact problem is coming from. Madshi.net has a good system to track the point of access violation, and it is completely free to use."

All fine and good except dxdiag, etc. are not on Macs so we cannot diagnose the error codes that appear in the access violation codes that follow. Running the RM7 database tools really does not fix the problem on the Mac. I just loaded Win10 Pro in BootCamp and installed RM7 over under Win10 and ran the database tools there. I had a number of files that were corrupted that appeared under the first tool, so I ran the gamut of tools and took the file back to the Mac OS X Mojave side of things. Will I have less access violation errors now? I do not know yet. If I do, then the database tools are not up to snuff on the Mac side of things. If I don't, hallelujah! 

#30 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

The previous response I am sure is dealing with a memory leak issue.

This one may be tricker;

"bitmap image is not valid" pops up on occasion. I am dealing with black and white text and am not playing with color or black and white images, but this appears anyway. Again, it locks up the Mac and I have to force quit to make it disappear.  

Apparently it may be a stack overflow issue;

For example;

"Is imgScreen the right component for the type of image your are trying to open? If imgScreen is a TImage, then it can only load bitmap images (e.g., no JPGs, no PNGs, etc), at least not from a stream. Opening from a file is more dynamic. Once you verify the image data is transferring correctly, you should look at these posts to see how to open various image types from a stream: stackoverflow.com/questions/17208785/… and stackoverflow.com/questions/959160/… – James L. Nov 30 '13 at 8:18
    There are a LOT of problems with this code, ranging from a fundamental lack of understanding of how TClientSocket and TServerSocket actually work in general, to improper send/receive/parsing of commands over TCP/IP, to missing synchronization between worker threads and the main thread when accessing UI components. I see very few things in this code that are correct. – Remy Lebeau Dec 1 '13 at 0:27  

etc. It goes on to show proper code in this thread. https://stackoverflo...id-bitmap-image

So maybe, just maybe, there is a similar issue within RM7.

#31 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:34 AM

The current codeweaver version being sold is 17.5.1. When I made a RM7 bottle using that and their script the result was a RM7 that eliminated at least the source display and research notes mess rootsmagic's own version gives you on Sierra and High Sierra. It also seemed to run faster. Hence, Bruce's wrapper is not current and is causing at least some of our mac user problems. Perhaps after Mojave launches in October Rootsmagic will get a new better wrapper.

#32 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

Confirming this has been reported to development. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#33 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

Current RM7 wrapper is NOT 17.5. Version from rootsmagic full of problems under Sierra and High sierra. Codeweaver Version 17.5.1 with RM7 installed with a crosstie file from Codeweaver seems to work fine and does not show the source/research note display mess.   Guess we mac users are not a very important customer segment.

#34 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

You did read the newsletter that came out today? They have been focussing attention on RM8. So yeah, we did not scream loud enough. But progress is being made - and in the correct direction.

#35 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

This was also in the RM Newsletter.

Minor Update to Mac Version Coming Soon
We will be releasing a minor update to the Mac version of RootsMagic which will hopefully address some of the issues Mac users are encountering (especially those who have updated to more recent versions of MacOS).  We have the update ready, but are running it through some additional testing before releasing, but we hope to have it available within the next week.

We will send an email to this newsletter list as soon as it becomes available.

Renee
RootsMagic

#36 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:00 AM

Mojave went to version 10.14 last night and with it the problems return. Minimise the RootsMagic application and on screen appears a small window, 2" x 1", nothing in it. Click on the Red close button and nothing happens. Return RootsMagic to full screen and its not possible to work on it. :-(

#37 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:25 AM

Mine is working okay with the update in Mac OS, but maybe the version running in VirtualBox and Win 10 Enterprise (90 day eval) may somehow be positively influencing it.  Have you done a complete clean reinstall (removing all RM7 threads from inside Mac OS Mojave)? I put my 250K name database out in iCloud so I could share between Mac OS Mojave and Win 10 Enterprise. Running FamilySearch on the Mac is considerably better than accessing it via RM7 in VirtualBox and Win 10. I still get the errors we have grown accustomed to under Mac OS and RM7 - just not as much under the Win 10 Enterprise influence. 

#38 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:44 AM

Thanks, I'd forgotten how flaky RM can be, a re-install cured it.

I'm currently using Family Tree Maker in parallel with RM and I must admit that I'm enjoying the stability. That, and the continuous stonewalling about when we can expect a proper Mac version, is likely to seal my migration to FTM. I mean how hard can it be to share with your customers your planned timelines. Many other companies do it quite successfully and in the end the customer feels part of the process.

#39 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:59 AM

Waiting anxiously on the promise of RM8 natively on the Mac. I noticed that even though my database is shared in iCloud, the actual file updates and corrections are not transferring completely  (or if at all) between RM7 on the Mac and RM7 in Win 7 under VirtualBox, which indicates to me that there is obviously a deep-seated issue with the SQL database implementation under Mac OS.  

#40 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:08 AM

Not sure why there are so many concerns about a piece of software not working correctly with MacOS Mojave! It's a BETA product that has already passed through 14 iterations and isn't yet the final release version, so why would anyone expect (all) 3rd-Party software to work on it without any issues.

In my experience with MacOS for more than 10 years (and Microsoft for more than 30 years), every OS upgrade has necessitated a significant number of upgrades to software applications; and that includes Microsoft Office and all Apple application software, immediately after the OS update is released.  3rd-Party software developers need to understand what issues are likely to arise with each major new OS release, but very rarely release updates which attempt to keep pace with Beta changes simply because it's a constantly moving target until all changes are finalised. Lost count of the number of times Apple (and Microsoft) have trialled changes in Beta-OS versions only to change/adapt their original idea, or even drop/postpone significant changes entirely in a 'final' release version.

As others have mentioned its far better for the RootsMagic developers to expend there efforts on completing RootsMagic 8 than investing any serious amount of time investigating glitches experienced with running a non-native MacOS application through a 3rd-Party (which itself relies on another 3rd party piece of software - WINE) on a BETA OS.  

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"