Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:23 AM

macOS Mojave Version 10.14 Beta 

MacBook Pro 15-inch Mid 2015

Beta-testing macOS Mohave and RM7 

So far it is a delight to use RM7 with macOS Mohave beta after the constant lockups under High Sierra. I seldom have the lockups under macOS Mohave and I feel productive again.

The usual warning error pops up at the beginning after RM7 is installed regarding the program being a 32-bit app and not a 64 bit app and that future versions will more than likely not work on the Mac and to contact the software developers to ask for the 64-bit version.

I am so looking forward for RM8 to be released for the Mac. But at least by moving to macOS Mohave, many of the issues we have tolerated under High Sierra seem to have evaporated.

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

I believe the 32-bit software warning does not refer to the RootsMagic Software (MacOS has no direct understanding of the format of native Windows software), but to the version of Crossover being used to create the app which was/is probably 32-bit as Crossover hadn't completed the transition of is software to 64-bit on MacOS the last time I checked.  

If Crossover/WINE couldn't enable native 32-bit Windows apps to run on 64-bit MacOS/Linux then the software would be dead in the water, and there's no sign of them giving up on that market.  That said, a native RootsMagic for Mac would be very welcome!

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7924 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

CodeWeavers the maker of the CrossOver wrapper for RootsMagic announced back in May their intentions on making a 64-bit version.

"I am delighted to announce that CodeWeavers has just released CrossOver 17.5 for both macOS and Linux.

.....Users should see increased stability and encounter fewer crashes.

CrossOver 17.5 is the first step towards making CrossOver for macOS fully 64-bit compatible, in anticipation of Apple’s plan to end support for 32-bit applications."

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

May we be as delighted to hear that RootsMagic is using 17.5 of Dreamweaver's CrossOver?

#5 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

Latest Mohave beta released18 July 2018 breaks RootsMagic even after reinstalling. Methinks it needs newest CrossOver 17.5 to function. Previous Mohave beta worked fine but gave 32-bit warning. 

#6 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

RootsMagic feedback  resent to Apple development team for latest Mohave beta antics for duplication attempt of behaviour.

#7 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

Same problem here, used Mojave build 18A336e. Problem report sent to Apple.

#8 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

So please delight us with CrossOver 17.5 while we wait for RM8. At the moment I am not going back to the first rev of Mohave beta just to run RM7. At the moment I am spending 100% of my time over on FamilySearch while I wait for the dust to settle.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7924 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

CrossOver 17.5 doesn't mean its ready for Mojave since it came out in May 2018. I'm sure CrossOver is waiting before they start programming on a moving target. Apple needs work on their end first. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

The version that RM7 uses does not work with the latest Mohave beta. The 14-day trial versions directly from Dreamweaver have worked in the past when RM7 (with CrossOver) for Mac has not. What does it take to upgrade the license to 17.5 and release the package for RootsMagic Mac today instead of waiting until Apple releases Mohave to the public in September? 

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7924 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

I takes waiting for the dust to settle on Mojave. I honestly can't even tell you if the wrapper isn't already using 17.5. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Renee, please let us know what you find out. 

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7924 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

I checked with development. CrossOver customizes our wrapper around RM so we don't know the version number. 17.5 came out in May 2018 so it's probably what they are using. Once the Mojave beta is stable CrossOver will determine if a new wrapper is needed. Many of the issues you experience during beta should be resolved by Apple. Keep reporting any issues with programs with them. We still have a couple months of Mojave beta testing before anyone can tell what is needed. 

RM doesn't support beta versions of operating systems, so issues with it are at your own risk. We do watch what users running beta report so we can see what progress is or isn't being made by Apple, but won't develop to it while a moving target. The only thing I can suggest is doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of RM including the CrossOver wrapper when a new beta version is released. That will make the test environment cleaner. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

Unfortunately a new install does not appear to work in this instance. Having removed the old version then downloaded and installed again, first the logo appears but then the screen freezes with screen name RootsMagic 7 - [MDI Child] featuring a red circle with a white cross on it.

Guess my use of RootsMagic is over until Mojave is finalised :-(

#15 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

p.s. from the screen 'MDI Child' the only way out has been to 'Force Quit'.

#16 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Darn999 - exactly. The first Mohave beta release worked well enough that the "Force Quit" was seldom needed. The 2nd release broke RM7 and gets as far as RM7 Essentials screen and and stops and does not get to the 2nd download upgrade for RM7. 

#17 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

But, tonight with the release of Beta 4, RootsMagic is accessible again!

#18 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

Verified. Thank you, Darn9999!

I'd forgotten how cluggy and clunky RM7 was after being able to only go into FamilySearch and work a vast number of names in the right column.

Still loaded from scratch. Still took 3 times with the same dialogue screen to get my FamilySearch name and password through the system. Still had to save each step by forcing quit and working up to the next phase to get fully functional in FamilySearch. But I am there again.

Having to work with a cluggy genealogy program on my Mac where there is a tradition of "It just works" is really a crime in both time and resources. But I am stubborn. I hope RM7 gets out of the telestial level and closer to the celestial level on the Mac soon.

#19 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

So the "access" error message has become prevalent again, requiring "force quit" constantly. 

My database is approaching close to 1/4 million files.  The "access" issue is FamilySearch related. RM7 loses connection and requires stepping out of the program completely and back in to get to the next name. The fun is gone and the frustration level is high.

#20 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:20 PM

The only "improvement " I see is that I do not have "Force quit" and shut down my computer completely every time there is an "access violation" with FamilySearch access as was the case with Mac High Sierra. But we didn't start getting "access violations" until a few months ago (has it been a year?) after an RM7 update.