6 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

When Searching, Marking, or Unmarking in RM, you can specify Source (family), Source (general), or Any fact source. You can search or mark or unmark on all three types of sources at the same time by using the Boolean OR connector. However, if you do so, it becomes awkward or impossible (I'm not sure which) to add additional search/mark/unmark criteria with a Boolean AND connector. Therefore, I wish for a fourth source criterion for search/mark/unmark called "Any source" which would encompass the other three existing source criteria. The existing three source criteria would remain available for use. The new "Any source" criterion could then be used with other criteria using the Boolean AND or Boolean OR connector. (only after RM8 is out the door).

Jerry

#2 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Yes, please.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

This sounds like the way that Find Everywhere treats sources. Unfortunately, Find Everywhere has no function to focus the search on sources - it only has it's single "global" mode. Last time I ran a Find Everywhere on my database, seeking a particular phrase in any source, it took over one-and-a-half hours to complete. On a suggestion from TomH, I went to List > Source List and [Print]ed the whole list, then saved to PDF. I was then able to use Acrobat Reader's Edit > Find command to solve my need. Total time? A few minutes.

Find Everywhere really needs an ability to "focus".

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

Including Find Everywhere :D

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7769 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Find Everywhere has numerous problems.

• It does not find everywhere. There are lots of things it does't find.
  • It needs an ability to focus on particular types of objects in RM such as People, Places, etc.
  • It needs Boolean logic
  • For found objects, it needs to provide adequate context to determine whether and how to edit the found object. With the current design, you are often flying completely blind.
  • Given adequate context, it needs to be able to add and delete objects, not just edit an object.

Jerry

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7769 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

Confirming Find Everywhere items are on the enhancement list. 

Renee
RootsMagic