2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

I really wish for lots more data elements to be able to be displayed as columns in People View, but for today I will focus only on color coding. I've been doing a project using color coding where it would have been extremely helpful if color coding could be a column in People View. In particular, I would like to have been able to click at the top of the column and sort by color. This should actually be a fairly simple addition to RM because color coding is a single column in RM's PeopleTable, and there is exactly one row in the PeopleTable for each individual in your database. Alternate Names and that sort of thing do not become involved.

As far as what the column should look like, perhaps each cell could just contain a large dot (or small ball) of the appropriate color. Or perhaps each cell could contain text with the name of the color and with the text being rendered in the appropriate color. The only exception is that I think cells for people with no color coding should be left blank rather than being black.

As far as sort order for the colors, I don't care except that the sort order should enable people with no color coding to sort to the top of the list or to the bottom of the list. If the colors were sorted according to the numeric coding that RM uses, the people with no color coding would sort according to my proposed criteria. If you are curious about what this sort order would mean, it would mean the same order that the colors are listed in the drop down list of colors when you are color coding.

As always with new wishes such as this, I would not wish for something like this to appear in version 8.0. Including it in 8.1 or 8.2 or 8.x or even 9.x would be fine. I would just hope that it might appear some day. As I said, this one should be really easy to implement.

Jerry

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

A couple of suggestions.

1. If you add a custom fact for color to each person you could use it in the People View to sort on a column.

2. Create groups based on current color-code, even those with the color - is black (off). Then you can switch to that group and sort any additional way you wish.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

A couple of suggestions.

1. If you add a custom fact for color to each person you could use it in the People View to sort on a column.

2. Create groups based on current color-code, even those with the color - is black (off). Then you can switch to that group and sort any additional way you wish.

I'm certainly aware of these possibilities, but they both have their problems.

On #1, there is no way to bulk add facts to multiple people in RM. But you can "bulk add" colors to multiple people in RM. There are a lot of situations where some kind of "bulk add" would be extraordinarily useful. I hope such features make an appearance in future versions after 8.0. But simply making color coding a column in People View would surely be much easier for the developers to implement quickly.

#2 does not accomplish the same thing because only one group can be displayed in People View or the Groups sidebar at one time and a group name can't be a column in People View. And unlike with colors, the same person can be in multiple groups at the same time.

The bulk add capability is a much bigger and more important issue and it has been requested many times through the years by many different users. In the meantime (and even if bulk add capability is implemented in RM), color coding as a column would be an extremely useful and an extremely easy enhancement.

Jerry