17 replies to this topic

#1 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

I have uploaded twice my tree to Ancestry and in each case looking at the "life Story" section it shows conflicting details throughout the file.

Firstly it shows the correct place and place details from my file, but it also shows American place details.

It looks like it is converting things like Kennedy Hospital Australia from my file to a similar place in US in the Ancestry file.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

Kennedy Hospital Australia .

You didn't use any punctuation in the example. Should there be a city and state between Hospital and Australia?

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

That's presumptuous of Ancestry. I doubt that is the fault of RootsMagic. Is it possible that your Place value could be ambiguous? Does it end with "...,Australia"?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Great minds...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

You didn't use any punctuation in the example. Should there be a city and state between Hospital and Australia?

So you think there should be no commas.This is how I have setup my whole file with details

in the place line I have                        Whitsunday Regional Council, Queensland, Australia

in the place details I have                   Kennedy Hospital, Bowen Street, Bowen

In life story In Ancestry it is saying in Kennedy, California, USA

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

Au contraire, there should be commas. But I am mystified. What does the Facts screen show for the event's Place on Ancestry?

#7 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

Au contraire, there should be commas. But I am mystified. What does the Facts screen show for the event's Place on Ancestry?

Tom the facts are the same in my file as in Ancestry, the problems are throughout the Ancestry file in the "Life Story" area.

This is at the top of the "life story"

When Colin James Larter was born on 22 June 1944 in Kennedy, California, USA, his father, Colin, was 24 and his mother, Marjorie, was 23. He married Lenore Isabel Meredith on 8 October 1966 in Roman, Vratsa, Bulgaria.

So in the facts Colin James Larter was born in Kennedy Hospital, Bowen, Queensland, Australia

So you can see that the Kennedy Hospital in Bowen Queensland becomes Kennedy California USA???????

In the facts marriage was at     Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Church, Roblane Street, and 18 Bonython St, Windsor

then this was changed in "Life Story" in Ancestry to         Roman, Vratsa, Bulgaria.????????

How does this happen throughout the Ancestry "Life story Area" for each person ???????/

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

That appears to be the fault of the Ancestry Life Story generator and has nothing to do with RootsMagic or the way you enter your data. I will have to look for similar examples but do follow up yours with Ancestry.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Since the fact shows exactly what RM sent, and the issue is with the Life Story, you need to address this with Ancestry Support. You don't even need to go into the fact it came from RM. Just what is in the place name and how they are handling. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

I have uploaded twice my tree to Ancestry and in each case looking at the "life Story" section it shows conflicting details throughout the file.

Firstly it shows the correct place and place details from my file, but it also shows American place details.

It looks like it is converting things like Kennedy Hospital Australia from my file to a similar place in US in the Ancestry file.

I don't share my Place Details with Ancestry, I don't see the benefit and it only further convolutes the Place for the purposes of matching.

"Kennedy Hospital" must have a more precise location other than Australia?, sorry in advance if I missed some explanation, I'm rushing as usual.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

First off Ancestry said it was just a glitch in the system,I like the the way people blaim Mr Glitch for the problem. I wonder where I can meet Mr Glitch.

So they said just upload my file again to clear the Glitch. So after many hours of uploading I did this and found that the new upload was the same.

The only way it could be corrected would be to go into each of the 130,000 prople in my tree and correct each set of places in Life Story...what a job that would be. As Ancestry do not appear to have the need to fix their problem, Life Story is a useless part of the system. .My thoughts of Ancestry from over the years have not changed.

Ancestry last reply to my e mails.....

"Thank you for replying to our last message.

We are sorry you are still experiencing issues. The Life Story feature draws the location information, to load in the map, directly from facts and events for the tree members' life. If you do not list, city, state, and country, or add more information, under the location for any facts, or events, then the feature will not plot correctly. Correcting the location information should resolve this issue for you".

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:25 AM

We are sorry you are still experiencing issues. The Life Story feature draws the location information, to load in the map, directly from facts and events for the tree members' life. If you do not list, city, state, and country, or add more information, under the location for any facts, or events, then the feature will not plot correctly. Correcting the location information should resolve this issue for you".

So uncheck the box to include Place Details, Ancestry is obviously trying to resolve a Place on a map from your text string. The problem with including Place Details is further convolution of possible matches with any online services simply from the varying ways users will refer to a Place Detail.

Google Maps does not resolve "Kennedy Hospital Bowen Queensland" but it does resolve "Bowen Queensland" how could you expect Ancestry to do better?

Edit;

I don't believe Ancestry pay any attention to Rootsmagic geocoding, which is a pity, but you can still use Rootsmagic Mapping to get a visual display of family movements providing they are geocoded.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

Google Maps does not resolve "Kennedy Hospital Bowen Queensland" but it does resolve "Bowen Queensland"

This got me to thinking. Generally speaking, Google Maps does resolve most "place details" information in most places I look, which are mostly American - including such things as cemeteries, hospitals, churches, and restaurants and other businesses. Indeed, supporting "restaurants and other businesses" is pretty central to the Google Maps business model. But the cemetery names, hospitals, and churches can be extremely useful for genealogy. I don't know how well Google Maps supports "place details" type of information outside in other countries.

Also, I usually use commas as field separators for searches with Google maps. I don't know how critical the commas really are for Google Maps, nor how critical they might be for ancestry's recognition of places including place details. I also think using comma separators look much better than blank separators in narrative reports. For example, I think Brookhaven Memorial Gardens, Bell County, Kentucky looks much better and makes more sense than Brookhaven Memorial Gardens Bell County Kentucky. Have you tried comma separators or any other separators than spaces in transferring in your RM place information to ancestry?

Jerry

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

But the cemetery names, hospitals, and churches can be extremely useful for genealogy. I don't know how well Google Maps supports "place details" type of information outside in other countries.

Poorly, I have a feeling Bing is better but I normally resort to a Google general search and maybe find general reference elsewhere, maybe even on someones genealogy page, I can home in on.

Proximity of families and events within a timeline are such important indicators to me, bit like "where were you on the night of?" I am disappointed Ancestry have no holder for geocode indormation.

Boundary overlay definitions are starting to appear on both Google and Bing which can be informative, I think I even saw a Parish outline on Bing once, I don't know what's driving this, "Bowen Queensland" shows the boundary map but no mention of Kennedy Hospital.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

Google finds Bowen Hospital, Bowen, QLD but no Kennedy Hospital there. Is the latter a historical name currently unused?

#16 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

Ancestry and Online Mapping cannot be expected to resolve freehand variations of Place Details, I think we all know that. Is it Presbyterian Church, 1st Presbyterian Church, First Presbyterian Church or Drew Memorial, all real variations user denotation however the geocode remains the same.

Name, Date and Place are the fundamental indicators of research and by Place I mean Site (Place Detail) where it is known and user geocoding out ranks that of Place. I don't share Place Details with Ancestry because I don't believe they add any accuracy to locations, in fact they may detract from that accuracy and reduce hint generation.

Going back to the original posters desire was the "life Story" feature of Ancestry and how it could not be accurately used when Place Details were appended to the Place. I have wished for many enhancements to Place management over the years and without being familiar with this particular Ancestry offering I do believe it is something Rootsmagic needs to replicate and improve on. Users can carefully geocode Places and Place Details but as this thread indicates Ancestry has no interest or holder for that level of accuracy, however Rootsmagic could provide it's own and improved version of this Ancestry "life Story".

Including Place Details with online services just introduces another freehand nightmare of variations which apart from geocoding I could not expect a programmed solution. The Belfast Workhouse became the City Hospital, in the hospitals infancy it was often noted as 51 Lisburn Road on death registrations and people often refer to the, now gone, Jubilee Maternity unit all of which were the same geographical site within meters.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#17 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

I don't share Place Details with Ancestry because I don't believe they add any accuracy to locations, in fact they may detract from that accuracy and reduce hint generation.

I tend to think that in general Place Details do in fact add accuracy to locations, and that even if they didn't do so they certainly can add color and spice to narrative reports. I also think it's possible and reasonable for fair minded people to disagree about how and whether to record and share some place details such as hospital names where someone was born or died. But the one that I'm really astounded by is not recording and/or sharing cemetery names for burials. Cemetery names for burials add not only color and spice to narrative reports but also important accuracy to locations. Indeed, whenever possible I record the exact GPS coordinates of individual grave sites. These GPS coordinates in my narrative reports should help people find a grave site today when the stone may still legible, and more importantly may help people find a grave site in the future when the stone may have become illegible.

I actually haven't spent much time understanding how ancestry wants burials recorded (this thread is about ancestry). But I have spent time understanding how FamilySearch wants burials recorded. It's astounding to me that they don't want the place of burial to include the cemetery name.

Jerry

#18 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

I don't share Place Details with Ancestry because I don't believe they add any accuracy to locations, in fact they may detract from that accuracy and reduce hint generation.

I may need to clarify this statement;

I embrace and record Rootsmagic Place Details to extremes including cemetery plot, they are not part of my general Place.

I believe there is little genealogy matching benefit in sharing these Place Details appended to the actual Place, other platforms do not have a recognized way of dealing with or reconciling this Site element so I believe it is counter productive to matching.

I believe Rootsmagic already have a unique selling point in distinct Place Details which include Notes, Media and geocoding and I also believe better reporting and data mining possibilities based on geocoding are very much needed and would be beneficial.

I don't have time to investigate the Ancestry "life Story" feature but it appears to be partially tied to geographic movements, if I am correct then for those who embrace Place Details and geocoding Rootsmagic has all the elements to produce a quality report of this fashion..

Any such feature would become an encouragement to geocode Place and Place Details therefore increasing the possibility of proximity associations regardless of text notation of Place or Place Detail.

I find the ability to view events within a time scale and geographic proximity a very important indicator to possible genealogy matches, I believe Rootsmagic should do more to facilitate reporting and data mining using proximity of geocoding regardless of user text input or County lines.

This thread started with a frustration based on Ancestry misinterpreting the text notation of a Place and Place Detail shared with Ancestry for the "life Story" feature. Ancestry and FS do not embrace geocoding, therein lies the problem. If I were Rootsmagic development and reading this thread I would be thinking "I can do that and do it better"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root