• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patski107

patski107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

I do all of my work on Ancestry.com and I am syncing my tree with Roots Magic (v 7.5.7.0). I appreciate the list of people who have had changes, are in Ancestry but not Roots Magic or in Roots Magic and not Ancestry, but it is VERY time consuming to add each person who is new to Roots Magic individually. I have several hundred changes to work through but right now I am most interested in getting the new people uploaded to RM. There doesn't seem to be a way to sort the list so that all the new people would be together. Not only would it be helpful to be able to sort the list, but also to select the new people and Add All.

If anyone has found a fast way to upload the new people to RM please let me know.

Thanks

Pat

patski107genealogy@gmail.com

gedmatch.com kit # T338857

https://www.ancestry...e/tree/88886076

Pat

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2986 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

With the present design of TreeShare, the original transfer of data from RM to ancestry or from ancestry to RM is very automated. And with the present design of TreeShare, all subsequent transfers of data are extremely manual and labor intensive. This design was completely intentional to try to avoid massive disruptions or errors that might accompany a more automated approach to subsequent data transfer.

I personally think that a fully automated approach could be quite safe if it only went in one direction, e.g., you did all your data entry in ancestry and transferred to RM or you did all your data entry in RM and transferred to ancestry. It's hard to know how safe an automated bi-directional transfer could be if major developmental effort went into making it safe. Both the TreeShare developers and the original TreeShare beta testers seem very supportive of the current design. So it's hard to know if the design will ever change or not.

Because RM is on your computer and ancestry is on the internet, a transfer from RM to ancestry is usually called an upload and a transfer from ancestry to RM is usually called a download.

Jerry

#3 patski107

patski107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the reply. I'm not sure I am comfortable with a totally automated transfer, but being able to select people and do it at once would certainly speed up the process.

Pat

With the present design of TreeShare, the original transfer of data from RM to ancestry or from ancestry to RM is very automated. And with the present design of TreeShare, all subsequent transfers of data are extremely manual and labor intensive. This design was completely intentional to try to avoid massive disruptions or errors that might accompany a more automated approach to subsequent data transfer.

I personally think that a fully automated approach could be quite safe if it only went in one direction, e.g., you did all your data entry in ancestry and transferred to RM or you did all your data entry in RM and transferred to ancestry. It's hard to know how safe an automated bi-directional transfer could be if major developmental effort went into making it safe. Both the TreeShare developers and the original TreeShare beta testers seem very supportive of the current design. So it's hard to know if the design will ever change or not.

Because RM is on your computer and ancestry is on the internet, a transfer from RM to ancestry is usually called an upload and a transfer from ancestry to RM is usually called a download.

Jerry

Pat