1 reply to this topic

#1 Nancy Wehner

Nancy Wehner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

Is there a way, maybe with a custom report, that would let me generate a list of my addresses that is grouped by location? The built-in address report lists addresses name alphabetically by the first name (wouldn't surname make more sense?). I've got hundreds of addresses and having to go through the default list by hand to find the ones in the area I'm going to visit is a bit of a pain.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

No, not with a custom report because none of the fields used for addresses is accessible to the report. Moreover, there is but one Name field for an address. If you had entered using Surname, Given format, the report would sort. And there's nothing to filter for Place but, at least, City is its own field. And saving the Address List report to a text file and opening it with Excel does not transform into a row per person with which the data could be manipulated. 

Maybe it's possible to export a GEDCOM to another program that does a better job. 

Otherwise, you could use a SQLite manager to view directly the AddressTable table in the RM database and to run queries that could parse the surname out of the Name field and sort on it and filter on City. Or export the table to CSV and manipulate in a spreadsheet program.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.